Sign in to follow this  
Rathion

Portable'ish Compressor.

Hi I'm looking at getting a compressor for home as I have a few air tools.

Does anyone have one and if so what size/type is it?

Ideally it would be on wheels and electric powered.

What size of air tank do you need to easily run say an air gun/impact wrench or an air sander or drill without worrying about running out of air?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

get as big a tank and motor as possible, compressors are nearly always under-bought, some tools like polishers and sand blasting guns use loads of air and if you ever do any paint spraying a cheapo 1-2hp won't do.

Biggest motor you can run on 240V supply is 3hp

belt drive is way quieter than the cheap direct drive units

50L tank will run out quick, 100L or more is advisable, but that does get rather large

I have a sealey 100L 3hp belt drive that is very quiet will deliver 10-12 CFM so will power about anything and will run off a normal 13 amp socket. Expect to pay around 200 quid for second hand and up to 600 new.

very cheap chinese made (or using some cheap components) compressors may end up being a false economy (little chance of getting spares) and limited in what you can do with them.

Check the air requirement of any tools you might want to use, the sealey catalogue and PDF manuals (on justoffbase website) are very handy for this.