Sign in to follow this  
V33DUB

Coffee/Mayo Gunk but No Coolant Loss

Hi all,

I have a small amount of mayo on my dipstick and a large amount of coffee coloured gunk on my filler cap...

15032010207.jpg

After checking the oil level today (ashamed to say I have never done this since buying the car in Sept :eek: ) It's below the minimum.

My coolant was flushed and refilled about 2 months ago and hasn't dropped at all since. This would have dropped if my head gasket had gone no?

Other info that may or may not be of use is that my oil cooler is leaking at the seal and my rocker cover is leaking (got both parts to do).

Anyone tell me where to start and also if I should be driving the car?

Cheers

We used to have a works van that only did local trips and never got properly warm and that had mayo under the filler cap something to do with condensation i think. The dipstick is slightly more worrying. The fact that its had hardly any oil in wont have helped but i would say drain the gunk and refill with fressh oil. Pretty cheap and easy to do. Do you use the car much? Any Oil in the coolant tank?

We used to have a works van that only did local trips and never got properly warm and that had mayo under the filler cap something to do with condensation i think. The dipstick is slightly more worrying. The fact that its had hardly any oil in wont have helped but i would say drain the gunk and refill with fressh oil. Pretty cheap and easy to do. Do you use the car much? Any Oil in the coolant tank?
Cheers for the info... I did read about the condensation thing, especially over winter.

The car is a daily but essentially short journeys (10 miles or so a day Mon-Fri). Coolant is fine. Will order some oil today and get the drain and refil done.... see how we go from there. :wink:

Thats quite a lot of gunk for condensation. Has the car stood without being driven for a while? This, combined with cold weather can cause a milky build up but Ive not seen it as thick as your pic.

Any white smoke at all out of the exhaust?

The gunk is essentially water and oil emulsion. Its either from condensation or coolant. I cant see any other way water will get in unless its poured in the oil filler. If the coolant has not dropped in 2 months i would guess its not head gasket as you would notice a drop surely? Which is why i suggest condensation. I am no mechanic though. Keep an eye when you change the oil. see if it looks like oil or sludge. The Gunk in our old van used to go after a good run to get the engine nice and hot. Maybe you need to get it warm, short journeys in this weather wont get it hot i would doubt. If you have not checked the oil since sept do you know when it was last changed?

Do a compression test. Doesn't look good from the pictures, i looked at a vr which had been standing for 4 months and there was a little mayo under the filler cap, not that much though. Compression test should give you a good idea whether your gasket has gone.

dosn't take a lot of water to make that much mess. your head gasket might just be on the way thats why you havn't noticed the coolant loss yet. i agree with change of oil.then a nice long run to get rid of any condensation. make sure you keep close eye on temp just incase

Defo change the oil cooler- had this on one of my valvers and it was the oil cooler seals letting in tiny amounts of coolant.

Defo change the oil cooler- had this on one of my valvers and it was the oil cooler seals letting in tiny amounts of coolant.
Do I need to change the whole unit? I've got the seals ready to do.

Gonna drain the lot out and put some fresh oil in, then generally keep an eye on it to see what happens. Along with doing the seals I have ready to fit.

Cheers for the info people :wink:

I've just noticed I have something similar to this too. The car is used now for very short journeys (shame on me, about a mile to and from railway station). Mine isn't quite so bad but is exactly the same colour/consistency. The car has been shamefully neglected due to laziness, lack of money, schitty weather. What signs are there that it could be head gasket? If it is head gasket is that going to cost plenty?

Do I need to change the whole unit? I've got the seals ready to do.

Gonna drain the lot out and put some fresh oil in, then generally keep an eye on it to see what happens. Along with doing the seals I have ready to fit.

Cheers for the info people :wink:

Top tip to use a flush when you drain the oil if you've that much c**p in there, have you checked if there's any of it in the header tank and it's top hose(which is another sign of the head gasket going). Would suggest a flush, filter and refil followed by a good road test to see if there's any loss of power to start with. Seems abit excessive though.