Sign in to follow this  
CraiG60

The Dreaded Knocking Noise Question!!!!!

Hi all,

I have a small amount of car knowledge but im not to sure about this knocking noise coming from the front passenger side of my car. The knocking was coming and going at first, it was at this point I thought it was either suspension or a cv joint. But the other day I was accelerating and the knocking went on for about 30 seconds. The quicker I got the faster the knocking got this happened from 3rd to 5th gear the knocking only stopped when I put my foot on the clutch. Then eventually it just stopped and has never come back like that again. The only thing I can think of is maybe its the driveshaft or gearbox any ideas

Thanks Craig

Check your wheel nuts are tight, sounds drive shaft related, there is a vibration damper which is a steel ring held to the longer driveshaft with moulded rubber which eventually lets go & you have a heavyish ring of steel free to move up & down the driveshaft knocking against things or could just be cv joint breaking.

I've got similar, found the Vib damper loose so cut it off, wasn't that but found a sheild over inner drivers cv joint was rubbing/catching wired it up out the way and seemed to cure it............. til it came back weeks later. Sometimes went away for 2-3 months at a time but thinking it's cv joints now, cannot afford VAG ones so i'll have to go pattern for now at least. From the noises I'm thinking 3 out of 4 :shock: Might just do all 4 and be done with it still £140 just for pattern parts :(

My money's on the driveshaft damper/weight, as mentioned above. You can either cut it off, or secure it with a jubilee either side.

If it was cv joints wouldn't it continue to knock weither I had the clutch down or not??

A CV joint will stop knocking when you dip the clutch as there is no drive being applied to it. Find an emptyish car park and drive in figure of eights, if it happens both clockwise and anti clockwise it's probably the CV joint. You can reach under the car and grab the balance weight to see if it's loose.

My knocking is so bad now I'd bet my cock it's the driverside inner CV gone, it does it under load/uphill and is especially pronounced with a loaded car turning right! Just gonna get the one done methinks.

I'm going to get it up on a ramp I've noticed

the gator on my cv joint has rotten away though

wiether or not that's a sign that it's the cv??

I've got this very same problem :(

Was happening periodically before but has just got lots louder and you can feel the vibrations through the floor when you're driving.

Just wondering if it's doing damage driving it like this as i can't get to a garage for a while due to work commitments.

Cheers

Owen

Mine's been going for a fair while now - feels like someone club-hammering the chassis slowly! Got a new inner CV joint kit just got to get it fitted now.

So just heard back from my mechanic that it's the gearbox mounts are shot so it's moving around when driving. He's replacing them and hope fully that'll sort the problem. Fingers crossed................

I got my driver's inner cv done and it been quiet for the last couple of months, 8)

Nice one, i get it back next week so looking forward to a nice 'quiet' drive :D

might try and check out the gearbox mount as it's the only one I ain't done! Money permiting, I've got mk4 caliper woes at the mo :(

So got the car back finally and no noises as yet :clap:

Had the inner CVs done too so hope fully that'll be the end if it...............fingers crossed