Sign in to follow this  
beastie4126

Mocal Oil Cooler - best location

My good lady gave me a 16 row oil mocal oil cooler and associated parts for Xmas and I am just getting around to fitting it over the Easter break. For those of you that have done a similar mod is there a "best" location for maximum cooling efficiency or is it a case of fit it where there is room and be done with it?

ive mounted mine in front of the main rad but quite low ie: in front of lower air intake on bumper. Ive been told that this may to too much for winter use (as the oil may never get up to temp) but as I only use the car in summer this is fine with me.

Page 4 of my members thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70247&start=45 shows where mine is.

My Dads C has a cooler mounted above the nearside "splash gaurd"/ "undertray" bit and from memory this is where they get mounted if Stealth fit the kit for you.

Hope this helps mate :)

It shouldnt matter if its used all year round if you get the thermostatic sandwich plate...

Behind the grille is where im going to mount mine when i get round to fitting one, you defo need one if you plan to track a VR6 as i found out when i took my last Vr round the ring, oil temps can reach 160'C if you drive it hard!...

Cheers for the info VAG-hag - I was thinking that in front of the rad would be best position and probably the easiest place to fit.

No worries chief 8)

My Dads C has a cooler mounted above the nearside "splash gaurd"/ "undertray" bit and from memory this is where they get mounted if Stealth fit the kit for you.

and is a bloody stupid place for it....2 years down the line and mine is rusting to f*ckery :(

i didn't expect them to put it there and certainly didn't ask for special hoses to reach to be made at my expense! :censored:

it also steams heavily in the wet and makes you think your engine is on fire. :brickwall:

(i have rolled arches and no splash guards btw)

mine was sat where the original G60 intercooler is supposed to sit, just behind the bumper and in front of the passenger side wing... I've even used the original shroud/air-guide to feed the air onto the cooler and out into the wheel arch... 8)

Knocked the temps right down, and on a 140mph thrash at Bruntingthorpe the oil temps never went over 120c... :D

Oh, and never had any problems with it rusting either as I used Stainless steel to mount it and made sure that any parts on the cooler that could have rusted were painted first before fitting... :)

mine was sat where the original G60 intercooler is supposed to sit, just behind the bumper and in front of the passenger side wing... I've even used the original shroud/air-guide to feed the air onto the cooler and out into the wheel arch... 8)

Knocked the temps right down, and on a 140mph thrash at Bruntingthorpe the oil temps never went over 120c... :D

Oh, and never had any problems with it rusting either as I used Stainless steel to mount it and made sure that any parts on the cooler that could have rusted were painted first before fitting... :)

Thats where i plan to mount mine when the time comes!

What was the temp like on normal driving??

On my mk2 its front mounted in air flow and i only get above 76 if in traffic or at idle,bit low for my liking!!

Car is only used for normal daily driving so thinking of blocking half the cooler to see if i can get the temp between 80 and 90 :D

Looks like I'll spend a day moving this thing around the front of the car until I decide whats best :) good idea for painting the possible rusty bits though.

On my mk2 its front mounted in air flow and i only get above 76 if in traffic or at idle,bit low for my liking!!

Car is only used for normal daily driving so thinking of blocking half the cooler to see if i can get the temp between 80 and 90 :D

umm, difficult to compare as mine was fitted to my 1940cc 252bhp lump! I did have a thermo take off plate in there though, so it would still warm up to around 85 but very rarely get over that unless I was giving it death... sounds like you either don't have a thermo plate on there, or the thermo in it has jammed open if you're not getting it over 80 degrees..

umm, difficult to compare as mine was fitted to my 1940cc 252bhp lump! I did have a thermo take off plate in there though, so it would still warm up to around 85 but very rarely get over that unless I was giving it death... sounds like you either don't have a thermo plate on there, or the thermo in it has jammed open if you're not getting it over 80 degrees..

I never tought of the thermo being jammed open!!

It acted the same way when fitted new to the 8vG so i took no notice!

The temp stays round 76 tho,if the therno was jammed open would the temp not go below 70 when driving?

If it stops raining here tomorrow i'll have a go at half blocking it to see what happens :)