MikLSP

Farewell N194 DTP Classic Green VR6 - (sold)

Yes that's the main thing I was thinking as perhaps the rebuilt oil pump was not right or something.

At the time the engine stopped the temperatures were normal though, wouldn't it be getting very hot with no oil?

It's a long time since I juggled spanners for a living, but surely the form is that after an engine rebuild one runs it only BRIEFLY with oil but without the coolant just to make sure that she fires up.

If a piston skirt has seized to the bore that suggests that the squirt hole in the con rod, or it's feed? is blocked?

Bad luck yours is far worse than mine ever was!

I suppose I should update this now that the car is back in the land of the living! I'm in the process of running the rebuilt engine in and have been keeping the revs to a max of 3,500rpm but trying to use the range below that. Anything else recommended to help get the best out of it.

There are still various things giving me grief at the moment though such as a poorly adjust gear linkage (any thought on whether this guide looks good), a repetitive dip in the idle speed and generally crap electrics but my main worry is the cooling as I don't think the first fan stage is working. The engine is fine when cruising but the coolant temperature quickly shoots up to 110 in any amount of traffic.

I will make sure I get some pictures of the chain tensioners and guide rails that came off the car after the tensioner bolt failed and the chain got a bit lively, you might be surprised!

Hi, it's a while since I have been around this forum and I never did keep a proper progress thread.

Sadly most of my input into the car has been in repairs rather than things I would have liked to do but thankfully I've had no big problems for some time now.

Despite this, I'm thinking it is time for me to sell the car!

Why? Well we have a baby on the way and we are looking to replace the Corrado and our Mk4 Golf with one car which is sporty, practical and more economical (I'm looking at you Polo GTi).

So what do you guys think, good / bad idea, and how much should I realistically think about listing the car for given the first post details?

Cheers

Adapt the Corrado to be a baby transporter. Streetcred to your baby right from the start ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Good idea. Less worry and headache about insurance, parts, etc. however when your baby reaches 5 or 6 you may need 2 cars again as you start ferrying them around for clubs and friend visits.

But if you sell now you are unlikely to get another corridor similar condition in the future. They are becoming rare. My kids love the Corrado precisely because none of their friends have anything like it and would much rather we use it than our mk4 average family car.

It's certainly a tough decision having put so much money into the car and as much as I'm proud to be seen with a Corrado, I really am drawn to that new Polo GTi which, given it's scarcity, has arguably as much street-cred at the moment.

Luckily we have no immediate need for two cars as I walk to work and I'm sure in 5 - 6 years there would be some interesting options ;-)

Do you think something like £2250 sounds a fair asking price? I'm aware that old accident damage always impacts the value so I want to try balance that with the work that has been done and the equipment spec that the car has.

My Corrado is indeed for sale now and I have actually just dropped the price to £2,000 o.n.o. :(

Please take a look at my ad HERE if you might be interested.

It has to go and the sooner the better really as baby is well on the way!

I would like to see it go to a good home and am prepared to negotiate a deal rather than see it traded in to go to auction.

Good luck with your baby well on it's way. Just don't sell the Corrado. For a long time, you won't be needing it anyway (the practical car). So be a supermodern dad and watch over the baby outside, while doing good work on the Corrado. That's the best way to learn children good taste (Corrado's). Take a stroll by foot and air the new family member. Then to drive in the city, get a microcar, or an electric car. This way you'll make sure, you're a frontrunner in both environmental stuff, practical stuff, and still be the supercool sportscardad. Your kid will love you for it.

If you, on the other hand, sell the Corrado now, by the time you're ready to get another one, it's probably illegal to get that type of car, bla bla bla. You know, the usual government crap stuff. And you will have a polo (thought it was a game, right?), that is no longer cool, is using as much petrol as your Corrado, and is just an old model car, while in the kindergarden, your kid's friends dad, will have the Jaguar e-type, the MG midget, the Herald, the ferrari 308, the Corrado.. ;)

And your wife will never see her husband dissapointed and frustrated for not having a proper sportscar, and you'll save lot's of money not having to buy upgrades to the polo, trying to built it into being a sportscar, which it will never be, no matter the cost. But the Corrado on the other hand, will just zip past you on that freeway, just as you and your family were cruising along it to get to a nice summerhouse weekend. And all you'll think about is that flat smart Corrado that blasted away on the freeway. How to get one, irritated for not having the internet available near you to look through the sales adds, family will wonder why you'll look so distantminded etc. And holiday money will be used later on to get another Corrado. And you know what they all say here, about having a Corrado again: it's like getting home ;)

Was that enough sweettalk to get you convinced? (I hope)

Cheers, and best wishes,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Haha, you make a compelling arguement although I think some of it may not quite turn out to be totally realistic ;-)

If I had a garage to keep a car as SORN I might have kept it but unfortunately its just a driveway.

Maybe you could buy it from me and sell it back me if I want another in the future :-P

Unfortunately my garage is not that big and I also keep bicycles etc. there. And I am a bit away in Scandinavia ;)

I think the comments are actually not too far away. Remember the time when a family of 4 plus a dog and a cat plus 3 weeks of vacation luggage could be in a fiat 500 topolino? Now, even when a young woman becomes pregnant, the motorcycle has to go, the stereo has to go, the big loudspeakers has to go, the garage has to be emptied of garage stuff, and instead keep her mothers savings of babystuff, the Corrado has to go, the ... You get the point ;)

No offence to the mothers in law btw;)

I am sure you'll do the right thing.

Anyway, a Lotus Esprit Mk 1 series 3 with turbo is a nice thing too. And only two seats, and a mini trunk, but takes up the space of two Corrado's. And everything is glued on - keep falling off ;) And it have the same tendency like a Corrado to drip fuel on a hot exhaust ... ;)

Cheers and best of wishes for your (soon bigger) family,

Redfox.

Good luck with your baby well on it's way. Just don't sell the Corrado. For a long time, you won't be needing it anyway (the practical car). So be a supermodern dad and watch over the baby outside, while doing good work on the Corrado. That's the best way to learn children good taste (Corrado's). Take a stroll by foot and air the new family member. Then to drive in the city, get a microcar, or an electric car. This way you'll make sure, you're a frontrunner in both environmental stuff, practical stuff, and still be the supercool sportscardad. Your kid will love you for it.

If you, on the other hand, sell the Corrado now, by the time you're ready to get another one, it's probably illegal to get that type of car, bla bla bla. You know, the usual government crap stuff. And you will have a polo (thought it was a game, right?), that is no longer cool, is using as much petrol as your Corrado, and is just an old model car, while in the kindergarden, your kid's friends dad, will have the Jaguar e-type, the MG midget, the Herald, the ferrari 308, the Corrado.. ;)

And your wife will never see her husband dissapointed and frustrated for not having a proper sportscar, and you'll save lot's of money not having to buy upgrades to the polo, trying to built it into being a sportscar, which it will never be, no matter the cost. But the Corrado on the other hand, will just zip past you on that freeway, just as you and your family were cruising along it to get to a nice summerhouse weekend. And all you'll think about is that flat smart Corrado that blasted away on the freeway. How to get one, irritated for not having the internet available near you to look through the sales adds, family will wonder why you'll look so distantminded etc. And holiday money will be used later on to get another Corrado. And you know what they all say here, about having a Corrado again: it's like getting home ;)

Was that enough sweettalk to get you convinced? (I hope)

Cheers, and best wishes,

Redfox.

The Force is strong in this one, young Jedi :)

Don't want to sound desperate but I would really like to get this car sold sometime soon. If anyone is at all interested please let me know.

Alternately I might have to consider selling some bits like the wheels, interior, steering wheel separately and letting the car go somewhere cheaply.

So, the day finally came and my Corrado has been sold. Sad to see it go in the end but I'm extremely happy with the MkV Golf GT we've just picked up!

Off it goes, bye bye....

OOOoooohhhh, very sad indeed :shrug:

I wish you the best with your new Golf. I've had a golf for many years, and it had to give way for my Corrado, of which I am very satisfied, though it makes nagging sounds from the interrior all over. In this respect, you'll get very plesantly surprised, as you can hear..... well....

:shrug:

Nothing.

There's nothing. No sounds. Admit it: wou'll miss it, and soon revert to Corrado's ;)

I've attacked the problem in a bit different manner, as I've just bought a Lotus Esprit Turbo SE. No interrior sounds, just a howl from the engine.

But the Corrado?

No way, it stays!

Hope to see you back here soon.

Best of wishes,

Redfox.

Haha, thanks. I already miss the noise of the VR6 but am certainly appreciating the modern quality and convenience of the Golf, especially with auto-lights, rain sensor, cruise control, dimming mirror, dual-zone air-con.

It's also a strange adjustment to have such a short rev range. Red line at 4,500 rpm...what?! I'm glad I was adamant about getting one with DSG ;-)

Anyway, the VR6 is now at its new home in Durham and won't be back on the road until next year while the new owner works on it as his new project. I did mention this forum to him so perhaps the car will make another appearance here in the future sometime.