Sign in to follow this  
Matt DDK

Engine starts thens stops after a second or 2!

Whilst driving on the motorway on Friday I was thinking how well the car was going. I had to make a business call north of Telford so parked the car up for an hour or so outside the guys workshop.

When I tried to restart the car it started and then immediately stalled. If I put my foot down it revs higher but still stalls in the same time period. I called Crazydave and he advised I clean the immobiliser box contacts under the spoiler switch and spray with WD40. After spending half an hour on this it still didn't start :(

After a 3 1/2 hour wait the AA arrived, finally getting home at 10:30 in the evening.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking at next?

It's a VR and I don't have VAG COM.

Thanks

Matt

check fuses. then:

unlock car

turn on ignition

have a cup of tea........ oh go on then have a biscuit too

make sure you dont rush the tea (give it 10mins)

turn car over

has happened a few times to me. cost me a new starter on my old C as i didnt know this trick and kept turning it over ruining it.

then it happened again while on a date!! very nice man from RAC came out who used to work at VW and did the above (apart from the brew) I could have kissed him!! But didnt - after all I was on a date

Hope this helps buddy

Sounds like the classic factory immobiliser fault to me, to be honest... use the search mate as it's been discussed numerous times!

Hi Jim

As 'Crazydave' said it does sound like the immob. I've just checked the fuses however and found 16 blown. The sunroof and spoiler weren't working but are ok now.

What is the best way forward now, I need to fix asap , can I buy a new immob from VW and fit or is there a way to bypass. I don't have Vag com to fault check or reset anything. Going away on Friday and can't leave the car where it's currently parked.

Cheers

Matt

once you have done the fuse mate all you need to do is "re sync" your key with the car (explained above)....... ive had to do it a couple of times now (in old car & current one) the first time it happened VW quoted me some obscene number to fix the factory imob.

So give it a try & hopefully you will be good to go mate. 8)

If it was just the spoiler or sunroof that caused the fuse to blow, then you need to sort them. Otherwise, as long as the fuse doesn't blow, the car should start with no issues. You can't remove the immobiliser, it's built into the ECU, the only way to get rid of it is to have the ECU doctored.

I had this issue and it turned out to be a short in the glovebox light.

Update

Got car running by tapping the immob unit, been for a short drive and runs ok. Stopped the car and wouldn't start again, fuse still ok. Tapped Immob again started wouldn't start etc, must be a dry joint in immob I think. Car now in a good place to work on, how is the easiest way to remove the immobiliser, it looks in a pig of a place to get out.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Matt

The transponder ring can fail, I replaced mine before I found the blown fuse, cost about £30. Otherwise bad contacts between the cable from the transponder to the little black box under the dash can play up.

Actually reading your reply properly.... The transponder ring is around the ignition barrel, just take the steering wheel cowling off, and the box is below the instrument panel, remove the under dash card.