Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

VR6 Inner CV bolts - NOT Torx T40 !!

I'm changing the CV's on my VR, looks like Everything under the car is original! The CV bolts looked like Torx to me so I grabbed the largest bit I had which was a T40 and it seemed a decent fit in the oily caphead, but it was bloody tight and it rounded off!

Anyone know what they are? Could they be the next Torx size up or a different type altogether? has anyone ended up cutting the bolt heads off, if so did the rest of the bolt come out easily?

Cheers

Thanks, yeah a 6mm hex key didn't look far off so they must be 6mm. I didn't know such a thing existed, is it the internal equivalent to bi-hex nuts?

thanks again

yeah its a multi spline, by the correct size, and on the rounded off one, hit the spline drive into the bolt, hopefully there maybe enough for it to bite onto to undo it. :brickwall:

yeah its a multi spline, by the correct size, and on the rounded off one, hit the spline drive into the bolt, hopefully there maybe enough for it to bite onto to undo it. :brickwall:

Got a set of Spline bits today from GSF - not bad at £8 when most places were asking £20!

It was an M8 Spine bit I needed for the Inner CV bolts, worked great on the untouched ones but rounded off on the one I'd tried the Torx bit in, even when hammered in. Ended up having to hacksaw the bolt head off, not fun, but at least the bolt wound out easily afterwards.

Cheers