Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

VW part no's

Im wondering what the last letter means in VW part no's...according to the wiki it means revisions, which is what Id say anyways coz many items that look the same seem to have the same part no. with just a different letter at the end...

For instance, in ETKA there are 5 :shock: entries for mk4 rear calipers with 232mm discs...!

All the carriers are the same, sorted. All the calipers are the same too, apart from the last letter. Last 3 digits and letter we have "423 & 424", "423 D and 424 F", "423 A & 424 A", "423 B & 424 B", and "423 B & 424 B" again.

:confused4: Anyone have any clarification on whether it matters which one I get??

the 3 and 4 refer to offside and nearside as far as im aware. check wiper blades for example

Cheers, yeh I understand that part of it. It's the last letter that's confusing me - the revision part. Does it matter which I go for??

sadly not a part im clued up on yet as back brakes are still fine for me with some ferodo pads in them.

id presume as logic dictates the further down the alphabet you go the newer the design of the part, im sure you did too.

im sure somebody more useful than me will soon point you in the right direction though :lol:

sadly not a part im clued up on yet as back brakes are still fine for me with some ferodo pads in them.

id presume as logic dictates the further down the alphabet you go the newer the design of the part, im sure you did too.

im sure somebody more useful than me will soon point you in the right direction though :lol:

:D

Just checked out this on ETKA..

If you look on the info above the part numbers you'll see a few differences.

On my version of ETKA the two first pages are for the mk4 sedans (look on the "model" part). Then on the description you'll notice the VIN numbers, before/after a certain VIN they use a different revision.

The two last pages show the same thing, but for the estate version of the Golf.

If you also take a look at the "remark", the sedan mentions C38HR-A LUCAS, the estate mentions "C41HR-A LUCAS". Dunno if that means there's a small difference between the sedan and the estate...?

Usually you are "safer" off buying the newest part (for the newest VIN). That's my experience anyway. Might be a small improvement that's been made to the caliper for instance. They should fit no matter which revision you choose, but are slightly different still. I think I read somewhere that they changed the handbrake system on the calipers somewhere in 2002-3 or so..

Dunno if this makes sense or helps at all?

And someone please comment if I'm wrong somewhere..

If you try to doubleclick the newest mk4 sedan calipers you'll see that they're "updated" yet again (attachment)..

Here you can also see the the "fwd sedan" part under model and the vin numbers under "description".. :dorky:

etka.JPG[/attachment:2bx6dax4]

Cheers dude!

Had noticed that it was for the Sedan's etc, Im just wondering if it matters between each one...what differences could there be? Ah well, just hope when I get the deal I go for they're correct :dorky:

Found this..

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showpost.php?p=42385&postcount=7

The best calipers to use are 2000-2004 Golf MK4/A3/Seat Leon, those are Lucas C38HR-A with improved emergencybrake mechanism.

VW partno:

Left: 1J0 615 423 D (CORRECTED)

Right: 1J0 615 424 D (CORRECTED)

423D is superseded by 423G..

424D is superseded by 424F, which is replaced by 424H...

But the 423/424 without a letter ending isn't superseded by anything according to etka.. Now I'm a bit unsure.. :(

Found this..

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showpost.php?p=42385&postcount=7

The best calipers to use are 2000-2004 Golf MK4/A3/Seat Leon, those are Lucas C38HR-A with improved emergencybrake mechanism.

VW partno:

Left: 1J0 615 423 D (CORRECTED)

Right: 1J0 615 424 D (CORRECTED)

423D is superseded by 423G..

424D is superseded by 424F, which is replaced by 424H...

But the 423/424 without a letter ending isn't superseded by anything according to etka.. Now I'm a bit unsure.. :(

Thanks man! :salute: