Sign in to follow this  
Rick

Help! 16v High rev's problem

Hello everyone,

New to this so please bear with me, I've got a 1990 16v KR with a strange problem and cant work out what is wrong with it.

For about 6 months now its had this problem where the engine stutters when reaching high revs, beyond around 5500rpm. When it started it seemed to stutter and rev erratically when it got to 5500rpm, as if it would loose power then get it back again then loose it again, causing it to like kangaroo in 1st and 2nd, but now it seems to have developed into a combination of that and not reving any higher at all, as if hitting the rev limiter. Its odd though because if you let off the pedal to around half throttle it will rev right round to 7000rpm, it does it when driving as well as when just reving the engine.

Sorry its not the best explanation but can think of another way to describe it.

I've had a good look around the search and haven't been able to find anything similar. Has anyone got any ideas or any suggestions? would be a real big help

Thanks

Rick

Yer the plugs and leads were done about 2 years ago I think, and the fuel filter I don't know, was reading a post earlier about it but wasn't sure. Is it an easy job? any ideas what could be causing it?

cheers again

Well it sounds like it could be fuel starvation, which could be a blocked filter, or a knackered fuel pump.

There is a guide on here for changing the fuel filter on the 16v, would be worth checking the pipes and connections at the filter before starting the job incase they need replacing.

The filter is in front of the rear drivers side wheel bolted to the underside of the car.

I'll get on it first thing in the morning, beats pretending to write essays! :) thanks