Sign in to follow this  
lycara

Car just had a full service but...

Some of these prices are a year or two old now but these are prices I've paid for parts on my VR.

Front wheel bearings £34 each

Rear wheel bearings £20 each

Disk (front?) £37 each

Disk (rear?) £20 each

Rear axle bushes £30 each

Brake pressure regulator £73

Front bump stops £16 each

Rear bump stops £13 each

all + VAT

Some of these prices are a year or two old now but these are prices I've paid for parts on my VR.

Front wheel bearings £34 each

Rear wheel bearings £20 each

Disk (front?) £37 each

Disk (rear?) £20 each

Rear axle bushes £30 each

Brake pressure regulator £73

Front bump stops £16 each

Rear bump stops £13 each

all + VAT

are they all excluding fitting?

Lol I have no idea where places get the retail prices from. Rang gfs they only 15 quid for some rear brakes they seem far too cheap and the dealer want 59 for the rear brakes :confused4:

are they all excluding fitting?

Oh God yeah... that's parts only.....excluding fitting.

Kip does a mean job in fitting bearings / disks / pads which has saved me a packet but all the other work I've had done has had labour on top.

And that list of parts is only the stuff applicable to lycara.

3,500 miles since buying the VR in Sept 07 and I'm not totalling up what I've spent on it. :cuckoo:

£15 from gfs is too cheap. probably what they charge but as said before, pay cheap pay twice...

Dealer prices can vary depending on how clued up your dealer is and if they are looking up the right part.

I would phone around a few, get the part numbers they are quoting you and check a few against each other.

Vw want 27.52 for the rear pads 59.18 for the rear brakes The guy at the garage said the fronts are are good,would I get away with just doing the rears for now? The front have grooved discs on them.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=576

Would these be ok for the rear?

That link shows the right part number for rear disks. If they are genuine VW parts then that's a good price. As I said, I paid £20 each about 2 years ago.

The 27.52 & 59.18 mentioned above must be for a pair of pads & disks but even so, it is a bit high.

Getting the rears done + the handbrake stuff makes sense. If you are now being told the fronts are OK leave them a while but it's a job that you need to be aware will need doing some time.. it's the front ones that do the real stopping!

U can get standard solid Brembo discs from GSF like I received today. £19.50+VAT for each side, I got free delivery on mine coz I got the front's at the same time, u might qualify for it tho with just the rears!

5 stud - 603VG0041

4 stud - 603VG0051

I also, like everyone else, say DON'T get the bearings from GSF :lol:

Rear brakes are an easy job to do, for the bearings u'll need some sort of punch to knock the new bearing races into the new discs, and plenty of grease. Also when taking the carrier off u may find the bolts round off, so Irwin Bolt Grips are handy in this kind of situation. Should really buy new bolts for the carriers too!

There's a couple of guides I imagine on here somewhere for the rear brakes - trust me, if I can do it, anyone can! :grin:

They are more expensive than the other link you posted up and I don't think you really need/want to spend more money on drilled / grooved disks.

Unless you need improved stopping power because of engine upgrades and track day use etc get genuine VW. And if you did need improved stopping power you would want to do it properly and that wouldn't keep costs down.

Is it easy? Depends on your level of mechanical knowledge or willingness to have a go. If the brakes have not had any attention for years you will no doubt be cursing seized nuts & bolts and might be in need of a big hammer now and again :help: Plus getting the bearings properly greased up and correctly tightened will need an amount of knowledge.

(says me who's never done the job but watched Kip curse and swear from a distance :norty: :notworthy: :grin: )