Sign in to follow this  
markrtw

Freefall values

I have a 149k M plate Blackberry VR6 which I love to bits and have spent a small fortune on over the last year or two (over £2K alone in the last 10,000 miles) as I planned to keep using it as my daily driver. I have overhauled the engine, brakes, suspension, cooling system etc and had Stealth fit 263's and remap. The paintwork is not great (no rust, just crap paint work) but the mechanics and electrics are all good and it has the heated leather and air-con, so I would think a fairly desirable car. Then, my stepfather offered me his car for way under the market value, so I had to take it, (even though I don't overly like it) but I have to sell the VR. :(

I thought I would get at least 3k for it, but having a look in the "For Sale" section has surprised me. I think going by what I saw that £2k would be a good price to get currently.

Now I know that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but are these figures typical now? If so, it looks like I will have to break it as it's worth much more in parts and that is something I really don't want to do. If I could keep it I would, but as I have no long term storage facility and need the funds, I'm going to have to do something.

Is this dilemma something that others have been experiencing too?

if everything works, the chains are done and the only bad thing you can say about it is that it looks a bit scruffy then I'd say its still worth £3k if you're patient. its a desirable colour after all - whack loads of polish on it and I'm sure it will go. theres someone i went out with on a viewing the other day looking for a solid blackberry one with that kind of money to spend..

I would have paid 3k or thereabouts for yours all day long when i was looking for a C, ive bought one now but im sure there are others out there looking for cars like yours.

Get some good photo's and list all the work youve had done and get an ad up on Pistonheads, if someone wants a good Corrado im sure they will bite, there are buyers about who will pay 3k for one, i was one up until a couple of months ago...

in fact i think its easily worth 3k reading it again and i'd quite like it myself! i'm going to get in touch with the guy i mentioned - there might be a deal to be done :)

Agreed. If it's mechanically sound but the paint needs a bit of TLC, and you can show receipts for the work you've done etc then you're in with a good shout of getting the sort of money you think it'd be worth.

I agree with everyone else who as replied. 3k sounds a reasonable price and personally I would want to buy a car knowing that money as been spent on the essentail items rather than cosmetic appearance of the car. There are people out there with the cash its just a waiting game. Please dont break it let someone else have the pleasure of owning one of these fantastic cars.

it's definately a waiting game for people like me... just waiting for the right car to chug along :)

Thanks guys. :salute: You have restored the faith in me as I really don't want to break it. I have simply washed it and parked it up in my parent's garage since I took delivery of the new car. I will endever to get it cleaned up and MOT'ed (I think it ran out yesterday) and then get it up on here for sale (I just have to find the time). I've attached a picture of what it currently looks like. Corrado1.JPG[/attachment:10k3py4i] I miss driving it so much and somehow after owning 11 GTI's, 2 Corrados and 2 Audi's (inc a fantastic 2.2 GT coupe in red a bit like the ashes to ashes quattro turbo) I just cannot get to grips with running a diesel golf even though it's a wonderful new car with automatic everything and touch screen sat-nav. When I turned 17 the last of the mk2 GTI 16v's were leaving the showrooms and the Corrado VR6 had just come out, so I have spent my driving life living the dream and now I feel like I have sold out, but maybe its because I have never aspired to own a sensible diesel (I hope I'm not growing up!). Maybe it will turn into a Scirocco in a year or 2? (petrol of course).

i hope you're at least going to remap the hell out of the diesel if thats what you're sticking with now! :)

I have spoken with Vince about a remap, but the big issue with the Golf isn't really the performance though, it's the way it handles. I like cars you can hustle along the country roads, but the Golf is a relaxed cruiser. My wife just scrapped an old million mile M plate GTI for an Ibiza 105 TDI sport on 17's which is reminds me of a 205 GTI handling wise and the new common-rail TDI is much smoother and more linier in delivery. It is a car that's great to hustle and likes the throttle blipping on downshifts etc (just got to wait for it to run in before we can give it the beans).

Been quite a mad month - gone from 2 cars with a combined age of 31 to 2 cars with a combined age of 2! Didn't plan it, but it's certainly not bad. Things have progressed a lot over the last 15 years, I just need to pay for the things now!

was thinking more about the Revo remaps (not sure that Vince is a Revo agent?) - i know the diesels can get crazy amounts of torque to make them quite amusing :)

I have spoken with Vince about a remap, but the big issue with the Golf isn't really the performance though, it's the way it handles. I like cars you can hustle along the country roads, but the Golf is a relaxed cruiser. My wife just scrapped an old million mile M plate GTI for an Ibiza 105 TDI sport on 17's which is reminds me of a 205 GTI handling wise and the new common-rail TDI is much smoother and more linier in delivery. It is a car that's great to hustle and likes the throttle blipping on downshifts etc (just got to wait for it to run in before we can give it the beans).

Been quite a mad month - gone from 2 cars with a combined age of 31 to 2 cars with a combined age of 2! Didn't plan it, but it's certainly not bad. Things have progressed a lot over the last 15 years, I just need to pay for the things now!

Throttle-blipping on a diesel?! Careful you don't blip it too much, it'll bounce off the 4000 RPM redline!

I'll let you know that the 4000 rpm redline is a thing of the past on these new modern common-rail diesels! The redline does not start until 4500 rpm!!

What am I doing? I'm starting to defend the things! I must write out"High octane petrol and turbo chargers rule, diesel is the fuel of satan" a thousend times.

Though I have to admit the cheap tax, insurance and mega fuel economy is OK.

pm'd you. What colour is the interior and what condition is it? Some more pics would be useful. Can you elaborate on what you mean by overhauling the engine, brakes, etc?... what work on the chains, clutch, gearbox, etc?

i hope your signature doesnt mean that you've made a decision on this? I'm sure you'll get the money you're after (especially with aircon at the beginning of summer) so get an advert up. breaking is a pain in the arse and the car doesnt look like it deserves it?

Im kind of in the same situation. Ive had mine for sale for a few weeks and Ive not had one single call or enquiry about it. Bought and sold many cars before but never had this lack of interest and I was contemplating breaking.

Luckily I have it sorted so Im not fussed anymore. If I needed quick funds I might consider it but it will be last resort. They are the sort of car you have to wait for the buyer to come along. I feel more and more people are going for standard examples now.

No, my initial desision was to break and then after this thread was to sell. I am going to take it for an MOT sometime next week and go from there. So as long as it goes OK, then I will tidy it up and hopefully get it up for sale later on in May. I'll update the signature to pending!

Oh, that reminds me, on a previous entry/PM Portent enquired about my car, which I saw and forgot to reply to. I'm very sorry, I was not ignoring you, it just slipped my mind as I've had a lot on recently. (I hate having no time for car stuff). In summery, All new timing stuff, head fully rebuilt, new clutch kit, gearbox fluid replaced, new oil pump, new coil pack, grey heated leather. Hope you found the right car for you.

All change!

I have a knee cartilage problem and it as a result my right knee swells up and can be very painful. I have had it operated on before and don't know if they will again in the near future, but they tell me I am too young for a knee replacement, so I guess I will have that to look forward to in the future...

Anyway, as I have not been able to get comfortable in the golf (I'm v. tall) it has made my knee really bad (the hospital took 300mm of fluid out of it yesterday) so I'm going to get rid of the golf and start driving the Corrado again. :clap:

When I started it the other day getting it ready for the MOT and listened to it I realised how much I missed the thing and even the smell of it. The MOT was failed on a couple of minor things, so I hope to be back in it in a week or 2.

Anyone got any suggestions for cars that are good for people with long legs? I need seats that go back a long way and seats that have a long squab (the bit you sit on). I have tested most of the current VW range and most seem to have short squabs. The most comfortable that also had the best squabs was the Scirocco, though I have not tried sitting in a Touareg. I believe the A6 is very good and the Audi sports seats are extendable which helps.

You need to find something that's a bit more of a cruiser perhaps... tried Passats, Audi A6's, etc..?