wy906

'94 Ice Grey Violet VR6 ***SOLD***

Looking good mate, where or how did you clean up your arches as mine need doing?

Looking good mate, where or how did you clean up your arches as mine need doing?

Just a local bodyshop in Sussex. I think the chap grinded it out then treated it with normal filer.

He said that the rust wasn’t too bad, otherwise he would have to remove the lower section and then weld new part in.

Did a good job at a fair price IMO. I got 5/6 quotes from various bodyshops prior.

http://northbrookbodyworks.co.uk/default.aspx

A bit too far from where you are though!

Swapped the Speedline to BBS today. Also replaced all 20 bolts. Mileage 83275.

Centre caps not yet fitted in the pic.

5460894437_c503aabd28.jpg

5460894753_3264c8898b.jpg

5461497266_746f0048fd.jpg

Quick update:

Failed MOT a couple of weeks ago. Since then had the following done:

New VW (SACHS) rear dampers

New CV joint gaiters

Fixed hand brake

New brake line

Annual service

Passed its MOT (83469 miles) on Monday with no advisory.

Works were completed by forum member ‘tandino’ and G-werks.

Darren from G-werks was complimentary about the car.

12-month report:

Miles driven - 7,910 (83,926 current)

Fuel used - 1,435.88 litres

Fuel cost - £1,815.99

MPG - 25.04

Fuel cost per mile - 23p

Amount spent on services, MOT, repairs, upgrades & general maintenance - around £2,463.58 (Exc tax, insurance, parking permit, fuel)

lol, you're like me, I keep a track of everything I spend too, i just don't run the stats, and that's a heftyish yearly spend alright, assume its a daily?

good to see you're keeping it standard ish, looks a good solid car :)

It’s not my daily, I walk to work! I do however do a lot of miles for ‘pleasure’, which probably explains the below average overall MPG.

I had anticipated the hefty yearly spending; as this was the first year under my ownership so I was busy putting things right. I would expect Year 2 spending to be a ‘bit’ less. Or not. :-)

Car drives really well; still needs a bit of works done cosmetically such as cracked fog lights, stone chips, scuff marks, parking dings etc…. but as I’m a keen driver my priorities have always been mechanical components.

Roll on Year 2!

Edited by wy906

It's the same colour as my new one , shared much the same prob's too , rear shocks, brakes ,small amount of bodywork.

I've also started fettling mine but have been stalled a bit by the broken drivers handle and ( after a 80 mile m/way run in which it ran like a dream especially after the super u/l i put in ) the failed water pump, i'm just plucking up the courage to tackle the water pump and tensioner bearing job.

My mechanical skills are perhaps slightly more advanced than yours ( slightly ! ) but the assistance / advice you have received must have been a huge help.

I wonder does anyone know of a bodyshop as good as yours was in the yorkshire region ?

Cool, another Ice Grey Violet; by my count there are now six at the forum (yours, mine, Kev’s VRT, Ice Violet, Abdul & JoeyB)

RE: bodyshop at Yorkshire, start a thread at the ‘suppliers’ section’, I’m sure somebody can point you to right direction. Good luck!

Had the car on rolling road yesterday; 192.6 BHP @ 5764rpm and 187.4 lb/ft @ 4284rpm. Right on the money.

5722122819_d1a585984e_z.jpg

You're torque comes in a lot earlier than mine. I bet it feels bags more responsive as a result. Great meeting you today :) Mark

Great meeting you today :) Mark

Ditto. I might have called you Chris on more than one occasion, sorry about that! :) Good luck with the interview this week!

^ Yeah, the photographer caught it at the top of the hill; helped by morning sun and damp track reflecting the light!