Sign in to follow this  
Chris71

How much does your Corrado cost you to run?

Hi,

Can someone give me a feeling for the running costs of a decent Corrado VR6?

Within reason I'm not too fussed about fuel as I only do about 7,000 miles a year and a lot of it is motorway work. However, maintenance is a big issue. One run down I've seen puts the figure at about £4,000 a year to run a VR6 for 9,000 miles (all in, with fuel, insurance etc.)

Chris

7k miles is £1400 of superunleaded a year. say £500 as an average for insurance. £200 for tax. £100 for MOT. All round numbers with incidental costs.

That leaves £1800 from £4k, less £200 for half a set of tyres = £1600. Less £100 for a basic oil service = £1500 from your £4k.

There are very few jobs or combinations of jobs that cost £1500 all in that happen more than once every 5-7 years. So conceivably you might spend £3k above the initial £2500 one year, but then you might not spend anything above it the next year, or the year after.

If you really look after your car but leave it standard, and based on the above, I would guess about £3-3.5k per year for 7k annual miles.

Mines cost me around £3000 on top of purchase price and has only done around 3 miles since I got it (not including the drive home) Is that excessive :) :D

Ahem, yes well..... :D

Keep it standardish and you'll be ok, no more than any other car of this age. Strap big things on to it and then you get trouble. :lol:

dukest has run it down pretty well, if u take into account the first service is usually the worst to fix all the niggles the PO ignored, then after that its just little things that don't cost a lot.

For the year and 2k miles I've done, I reckon on £1.1k on fuel, Mot, insurance, tax etc. Then prob another £1.8k but that was for upgrades like a new head and cams, brakes and wheels. Maybe £3-400 on general servicing items. So not really an expensive car to run, especially when you compare to a new car loosing £2-3k per year in value, or more!

When buying a Corrado, buy the best example you can afford, unless you want a project with lots of jobs to do, there will be plenty of jobs to do thats for sure!

I misread the original info, so £4000 is not correct. That included depreciation and all sorts of upgrades.

It seems the basic figure - £700 on servicing and repairs, £111 (averaged over a year) on tyres, plus VED, insurance (£750), MOT and 7000 mile's of super unleaded comes out at more like £3,250. That's everything barring upgrades (and depreciation as mentioned, but if anything decent Corrados must be heading up by now?)

i can have months pass where all i need to put in is oil, but other months where i've replaced loads and spent up to £1k each time

if its high mileage your looking at i would look to see if suspension, brakes, clutch, cooling system have had much new parts or it is all old original stuff.

now i've replaced all those parts mine seems pretty reliable

I would give you the figures for my 3yrs of ownership, but I feel the exception to the rule in the fact that pretty much everything has broken on my car at some point

I would give you the figures for my 3yrs of ownership, but I feel the exception to the rule in the fact that pretty much everything has broken on my car at some point

that's not being an exception, that's normal!

that's not being an exception, that's normal!

That's what I'm afraid of! :)

VR6's are nearly all coming to the time when the following needs replacing:

All the cooling system, Rad, hoses and heater matrix.

Timing chains.

Head rebuild.

I wouldn't think twice at spending an extra 1K on a Corrado that has had all these jobs done, trust me I've now done them all in my 5 years ownership.

Also look out for a car with renewed suspension components, the difference to drive is night and day.

I've done the majority of work myself and recon I must have saved a good few £1000 on labour and then there's parts that will be another 2K.

So what ever budget you had in mind spend an extra £1000 or two on one that had all the above done and its probably likely to save you several £1000 in the coming years.

I'll not bother repeating other costs as they are as others have mentioned.

I'm in for a doozy then, did 20k last year in my focus, but that bugger averaged 50mpg all day...

The 'rado, well I'll be nice and say it averages a little less... What sort of mpg are most people getting? I think mine must be pretty bad, but I haven't done much motorway miles yet.

Well in 3yrs mine has needed the following (obviously some of which are routine maintenance, but still):

HT leads

Dizzy

Burst water pipe

Alternator

Start motor

Ignition switch

Sunroof replacement

Spoiler motor died and is still dead

Heater matrix valves replaced

Rear heater window switch

Rear strut top mount

Throttle housing has got jammed open a few times

And lastly a few months after purchase the piston rings went, so a full £1000 rebuild occurred.

As you can see though most of those things are routine maintenance, and alot didnt cost much to fix, but they were just a ballache.

Like the water pipe, it didnt cost much and wasnt much of a job, but it burst in a traffic jam on the M1, so not the best place.

I'm in for a doozy then, did 20k last year in my focus, but that bugger averaged 50mpg all day...

Jeez, I wish my Focus did that! :)

I've got a 1.6 petrol Focus as a runaround currently and it struggles to better 35mpg, irrespective of how I drive it. My driving style usually seems to produce quite good MPG figures (it's not as if I boot it everywhere) but I've been a bit dissapointed with the figures the Focus has returned. It's not that 30-something MPG is at all bad, it's just unexceptional from a bland 1.6 hatchback. I even got high 20s out of my old TVR on a run.

That's all I can really say about the 1.6 focus, it's average. The drive is good, the engine just seem a bit boring. I had the 1.8TDCi, 122hp 220 lb/ft from my engine, good for the long motorway cruise :p

That's all I can really say about the 1.6 focus, it's average. The drive is good, the engine just seem a bit boring. I had the 1.8TDCi, 122hp 220 lb/ft from my engine, good for the long motorway cruise :p

Yep, 'fraid so. I used to work for Ford (for my sins) and after a few years blatting around in hotter Focuses and Mondeos I was expecting a little more from the base spec car. Might be the tyre choice or something on mine to be fair, it understeers pretty determindly and has less than impressive feedback.

Yep, 'fraid so. I used to work for Ford (for my sins) and after a few years blatting around in hotter Focuses and Mondeos I was expecting a little more from the base spec car. Might be the tyre choice or something on mine to be fair, it understeers pretty determindly and has less than impressive feedback.

Really? The Mk.1 1.6 Focus hire car that I drove years ago handled pretty well. I’d love a Focus RS Mk2. :)

Hi, I had a 1.6 Zetec Focus 52 plate - did all that u wanted well but not exceptional but my GT TDI ( PD) Golf Mk4 1 PO going strong on 138K and cost £3.50 for 2x front ARB bushes to pass last MOT & returns never less than 40mpg despite trying hard - would deffo recommend it to anyone !!!

now have '94 16V C so good job the Golf is cheap to run daily...

J