Sign in to follow this  
jpowell79

shit! - rounded some allen head bolts :-( advice needed

damn!

Wanted to take my thermostat housing back out as one of the seals had come loose....but I've managed to "round off" two of the 3 allen head bolts that hold the bugger on with my 5mm allen head socket :brickwall:

First question is, how am I gonna et the buggers out now! They're in an awkward place so tough to get to. I tried filing down a 6mm allen key to see if I could get some grip, but no joy :-(

Second question is - does anyone know the correct part numbers for these bolts so I can order some new ones when I eventually (hopefully) get them out somehow!

mole grips is the standard name for them i think.

you can have a bash with easy outs - not so easy but i think they do a differnt type for allen key style and they work pretty well.

Nah, Irwins are a socket thingy that you hammer on to rounded heads, they have grooves that face the other way and grip onto the head as you unscrew. Mole grips are a more slippy, knuckle scraping way of doing it. :D

ah, just clicked your link.

i have these and the expansion set, 30 ish delivered. ebay.

highly reccomended from me.

never tried them on an allen head before, will bare it in mind

Had precicely the same prob with the coilpack allen bolts on my last VR. Nothing would budge them. Got some Irwins and they literally took a couple of seconds to get off 8)

irwins are the nuts, well worth getting a set

another option is hammer in a spline or torx bit

then buy some decent quality tools and hopefully they wont round the fastners off anymore

Irwins are a must have, just make sure u make a good job of puttin the new bolts back in, when ya play with old cars like we do you've no idea if previous owners have already rounded bolts, cross threaded em in etc, no joke irwins are a god send, I removed a driveshaft bolt with mine recently after who ever had previously had hold of it somehow rounded it out,

sorry for being a complete div here.....but these Irwin things look like they go on the outside of the bolt?

Whereas the allen head hole is what has rounded..... so I put these things on the outside of the bolt and nothing goes in the allen head hole?

Also, the amazon link shows a set of tools, but can't see anything for 5mm (i.e the allen key size I was using to get the bolts out)

So is the size based on the outside of the bolt?

yeah its just got some angry sharp teeth that bite into the outside wall...works on allen bolts fine

not sure on thier sizing , it wont say 5mm to relate to the the allen key , its prob the outside diameter

my set got a 5mm allen screw out no probs

Would these Steve Irwins be any good for getting out a locking wheel nut? I got a reverse threaded tool (a laser product) and it worked fine for one but I still have one that is stuck with no key and the outside part of the wheel nut that spins has broken off.

I've took the bolts off the thermostat housing with mine, nit tried em

on lockin wheel nuts yet, depends how hard a steel the lockin wheel nuts are and weather u can get the tool in, mind you I don't think I would tell anyone if these did take wheels off, I pray my wheels are still on my car everyday,