Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Ignition Barell - Advise Please

Hi

Apologies if this is in the incorrect section. I had some work done recently and they had issues with the ignition barell. They said it seemed to have dropped and the switch being foobarred. Does this mean i need a new barell or switch. Also when its replaced will i work when put back as it was before the garage started on it?

Just change the switch and go from there. Get a genuine one from VW, and don't bother screwing the tiny screw back in afterwards in case you have to remove it again. Tie a cable tie around instead. Try the search- absolutely loads on ignition switch replacement.

Obviously, if it still isn't working after replacement, you have a prob with the barrel- again, the search is your friend.

what exactly is the problem? If it's a problem with the key not turning, or the steering lock being a pain, then it's a new barrel... if it's mainly electrical related (ie a pain to start, not turning things on/off as you'd expect) then it's probably the switch...

what exactly is the problem? If it's a problem with the key not turning, or the steering lock being a pain, then it's a new barrel... if it's mainly electrical related (ie a pain to start, not turning things on/off as you'd expect) then it's probably the switch...

Hi, no issues with the key turning or lock, he said he had to position the wires and the barell so the car will start. I also unclipped my headunit yesterday and the music just kept playing.i presume somethings nakered. Must just be the switch.

yup, sounds like the switch to me... what's scaryest is when you turn the engine off at the key and it keeps running... :shock: