Sign in to follow this  
Gareth_16V

Top mount question

Hi All,

I'm replacing the top mounts on my '95 valver, which according to the diagrams in the Bentley manual has top mounts like a VR (don't know if this is due to it being a very late one, 50-S-002137). Granted I'm not using genuine top mounts, which I know have been slated on here, but better a new short-lived part than a worn out original - FOR NOW! I have used the search, but can't find the answer to an assembly question I have.

The assembly sequence according to the manual is as follows (starting from the bottom up):-

Spring on damper

Spring top plate on spring

Top mount bearing on top of spring plate

Washer faced nut on top of bearing

Rubber for top mount on top of nut and bearing.

But when I do it like this the rubber part of the top mount does not seat on the bearing properly.

If I change the order to:-

Spring on damper

Spring top plate on spring

Top mount bearing on top of spring plate

Rubber for top mount on top of bearing

Washer faced nut

the nut is caught in the top mount rubber and the damper rod turns easier than the rubber on the top mount bearing. I'm obviously missing something fairly fundamental - I don't think I'm missing any parts as the diagram doesn't show any more bits than I've got.

Is it just that the hole in the top mount needs relieving slightly to clear the nut? Or have I got the wrong model of top mount?

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

i know the exact thing you mean, and i put the nut on after the rubber donut went on, once the strut was back on the car and the car back on the ground it all seemed ok