Sign in to follow this  
Gareth_16V

Suitable replacement brake master cylinders with ABS

I've done a whole raft of searching, and can't find a definitive answer to a question about brake master cylinders.

What other brake master cylinders can be used on cars with the Teves 04 ABS system? I understand this has a larger piston dia than the "normal" brake master cylinders (24.something instead of 22.2?).

So with genuine VW master cylinders approaching £250, can we use ones from a mk4 golf, TT, etc instead? These seem to be available for ~50% of the price from places like ECP for ATE parts.

Obviously there will be some hurdles, like having to modify the brake pipes going from the master to the ABS unit, or having to use a different fluid reservoir, but does anyone have any info? I've seen a few of the engine transplant guys use different cylinders (and the matching servo in one case), but no-one's really gone into details about how they got them on there, and how easy/difficult it is.

Looking forward to hearing what people have done before.

Does anyone have a list of the different cylinders and bores?

Saturday night bumpage?

Surprised no-one at all replied to this - have I asked a stoopid question? If the answer's out there then point me at it! Please!

I'm an application engineer so it's my job to take off-the-shelf parts and make them fit other things!