Sign in to follow this  
NewbridgeJob

Oil Leak

Just need a bit of advice,

Noticed a bit of an oil leak, had a look under and it appears to be dripping from the oil pump which after leaving it for a day left a pool of oil about the size of a beer mat.

Is there a gasket on the oil pump or is it best to just replace the whole thing? Oil warning light isnt on and the oil levels dont appear to be going down fast.

Also there seems to be another smaller leak coming from a part that i attached to the right hand side of the head under the distribution cap, i'm not really sure what this is but i put my hand under and there was lots of fresh oil so this appears to be the source

any advice is greatly appreciated

What engine is it mate?

Sure you mean oil pump?

EDIT- what supercharged said. serves me right for typing the message then just watching tv without pressing submit :lol:

Ah i see- its a 2.0l 16V

Its on the drivers side basically right behind the front wheel next to all the belts etc

Ill try and get some pictures asap.

Its deffo coming from that, it doesnt appear to be getting dripped on from something else.

Ah i see- its a 2.0l 16V

Its on the drivers side basically right behind the front wheel next to all the belts etc

Ill try and get some pictures asap.

Its deffo coming from that, it doesnt appear to be getting dripped on from something else.

sump gasket?

Hmm sounds about right then. That'll be why the engine oil isnt going down- Plus i've noticed that the steering has felt a lot heavier than some of my other cars but dont know whether thats just because its a lot older.

Ill take some pictures later and post them up

Right i've had another gander and it's definitely the power steering pump so it seems the best bet is to just replace it which i will do

Now for the other leak thats coming from the right hand side of the engine block, there was a little puddle of oil appearing just under the dizzy and from where i've traced it it appears to be coming from the very top and looks like it may be the rocky cover gasket?

I've posted some pics to see what you guys think

In this one you can see that theres already a brown looking bit of rubber where someone may have already patched it up? I assume thats not there naturally.

http://img156.imageshack.us/i/rockergasket2.jpg/

Same again but a bit closer. The oil seems to be seeping out of that area and all the way down

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/438/rocckergasket3.jpg

Hopefully someone can confirm that this is most likely to be rocker cover gasket as i can get one for about £10 and it''s not that much of a big job is it?

Thanks in advance :wave:

yup, that's the rocker cover gasket that's leaking...

Excellent just glad its not anything thats gonna be an absolute nightmare.

Anything i should look out for when changing it??