Sign in to follow this  
RichieSounds

Cracked pipe to heater matrix

Yikes - a jubilee clip I think must have been too tight on one of the 2 pipes through the bulkhead to the heater matrix. It's been leaking a little for some time, but just recently I was on the way to work and the coolant level indicator started flashing. So I pulled over and saw the leak was bad... I gave the pipe a little wiggle and crack... hot coolant everywhere!

So... I'm told to repair this the dash needs to come out and that's probably a 6 hour job for someone who knows what they're doing. Parts = not much; a new matrix is under £100.

I intend to sell this car sometime soon, so while wanting to make sure the job is done properly I wondered if anyone has got some ideas? Are there any options to look at as full removal of the dash is pretty extensive to replace such a part?

Of course, if I go ahead with the work the new owner will be glad to know it's been done. Any help much appreciated... thanks.

i would just er "crack" on and give it a go to be honest, if you have someone give you a hand it should take you well under a day.

I did mine myself having never taken anything apart on the car before at all and its just a job you have to be patient for and then as you say a prospective buyer will be pleased that its been done.

Matrix box can be taken out via passenger footwell without removing dash. Just remove centre console, glovebox and some other bits of trim, this is confirmed as i done it to mine last year, job takes a few hours. Good luck :)

someone needs to do a guide to the non-dash-out way as its time-consuming enough working everything out when you do it the long way, let alone when you cant see what you're doing!

for the fiddling around it'd take to do it without taking the dash out, it'd be simpler to take the dash out in my opinion (having done it both ways, and on MKII golfs too!)

It'd probably only take an extra hour or so to do it with taking the dash out, and you'll get a much neater job in the end... Taking the dash out isn't that big a job, I got it down to about 90 minutes out and about 2 hours back in again (including routing the wiring loom properly!) with about 30 minutes to change the matrix...

Oh, and I'm not a professional mechanic, I just cracked on with it and got it done... :)