Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Dubpower Exhaust problem - r32 swap in corrados

Can any one out there who has carried out a 3.2 24v aka r32 swap using a dubpower exhaust manifold help me?

Im having big issues with the position of the manifold flange fouling on the transmission tunnel and even Pete himself from dubpower is confused by it all. :brickwall:

Now because Pete hasnt seen the car in person and only pics we cant determine the cause of my problem.

So....is there any one local to Peterborough running a r32 with dubpower that can allow me to come visit and compare and figure out why mine fouls so badly. I know alot of you run close but nothing as bad as what Im seeing. Why is mine such pain :shrug: ?

Im planning to travel to Hereford and Wales in the near future, so if anyone on my route can help also help that would be a bonus.

Please please please, anyone

I'm in Rushden mate not a million miles away from Peterborough, you're welcome to pop round any time and have a gander at mine!

I had the same issues with mine, it was originally resting on the tunnel. Pete came over and we heated the downpipes up and tried bending them but we barely budged them so we end up taking an angle grinder to the edge so it didn't touch the tunnel. Pete was baffled by why mine was touching as well and even suggested I'd put the engine in on the piss ... :scratch: not sure how I would manage that considering it can only go in one way when all mounts are lined up!

What mounts are you using? If running different ones they might have one side of the engine ever so slightly higher? I originally had a VT front and VT gearbox with std rear, I hated the vibrations so changed the gearbox to a MK2 diesel mount from GSF which made the engine much smoother to drive but also slightly moved the position of the downpipes again.

Actually whilst on the topic of mounts etc, have you seen how close your sump sits to your o/s wishbone/subframe? Mine's hitting the subframe when letting the throttle off violently as it's only about an inch away!

I'm in Rushden mate not a million miles away from Peterborough, you're welcome to pop round any time and have a gander at mine!

I had the same issues with mine, it was originally resting on the tunnel. Pete came over and we heated the downpipes up and tried bending them but we barely budged them so we end up taking an angle grinder to the edge so it didn't touch the tunnel. Pete was baffled by why mine was touching as well and even suggested I'd put the engine in on the piss ... :scratch: not sure how I would manage that considering it can only go in one way when all mounts are lined up!

What mounts are you using? If running different ones they might have one side of the engine ever so slightly higher? I originally had a VT front and VT gearbox with std rear, I hated the vibrations so changed the gearbox to a MK2 diesel mount from GSF which made the engine much smoother to drive but also slightly moved the position of the downpipes again.

Actually whilst on the topic of mounts etc, have you seen how close your sump sits to your o/s wishbone/subframe? Mine's hitting the subframe when letting the throttle off violently as it's only about an inch away!

I was hoping that you would offer to help, Pete said you were close to me and that you are. You around this weekend, or you going to the Stanford show?

Im using the VT front mount, diesel gearbox mount and standard vr6 rear mount. Im not mad on the VT and may go to OEM in the future. Not checked the sump clearance to be honest but will try and check later. PM me you number and we can chat cars more lol

Yep I'm about all weekend, I have no other life now I've bought a house AND drive an R32 rado daily :lol: PM on it's way mate!

this is an easy one, if you are using the standard vr6 gearbox mount the r32 engine does sit at an angle so making it touch the exhaust tunnel like what your is sam,

either get pete from dubpower to come down and fix it for you (which he will) or make an adapting plate that sits on the gearbox mounting plate which will lift the engine slightly so it sits level, this will then make the manifold not hit on the tunnel.

karl

Yeah I thought about raising the mount slightly with an adaptor of some kind. Think I'd need to do the same for the front so the sump isn't as close to the subframe!

Yeah I thought about raising the mount slightly with an adaptor of some kind. Think I'd need to do the same for the front so the sump isn't as close to the subframe!

yeh the sump is low mate, but with even doing the gearbox mount it raises the one side of the sump by about 10mm, and flattens it out nicely, you can raise the front mount by 15mm max then it hits the bonnet though.

must pop down to yours sometime mate so i can see what i never had the chance to drive.

Cheers Karl, I did think about doing this. But think most people were getting away without putting shims in. This may be the best and easiest way of sorting it, saves removing the manifold and getting it reshaped. Will give it a try, maybe make a few spare for others who need them

yeh the sump is low mate, but with even doing the gearbox mount it raises the one side of the sump by about 10mm, and flattens it out nicely, you can raise the front mount by 15mm max then it hits the bonnet though.

must pop down to yours sometime mate so i can see what i never had the chance to drive.

Well it's not that the sump is too low because it actually sits higher than the std VR one did, it's just too far back meaning it's quite close to the subframe where the wishbone bolt is. Me and Kev discovered it the other week when I replaced my wishbone bushes. I wondered how far the front would be able to go without touching the bonnet!

Pop down any time mate, i'm still in same town as my old place you would have last visited.