Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Missing something from under bonnet alarm?

My alarm kept going off at random times and i found out from the flashing light it was something to do with bonnet.

When i looked at the bit in photo it was in the holder but had nothing holding it in so every so often it would slip and alarm would think bonnet was open.

Where on earth can i get the bit thats missing? I think its some kind of but, looked everywhere in my garage for something to fit :(

DSC01764.jpg

What make of alarm is it ? A dealer/installer may be able to supply whatever is missing. In the meantime wedge it 'closed' so it doesnt keep giving false signals to the alarm.

yeah at the moment i'd put some plastic washers between the contacts so it doesn't work.

its the original vag5000 alarm

Try your local dealer then - at the very least they'll be able to tell you what's missing ... ... and the bits may still be available :)

Isn't that thing pictured a switch? So when the end is pushed in it knows the bonnet is shut?

Surely all u need is 2 nuts that go along the thread?

i'm not sure what i need, but yes its the switch that bonnet presses when shut.

i have the two bolts and they hold some piece of metal, but nothing is threaded like the switch, i assumed something had fallen off

2 bolts and piece of metal doesn't look like they do a very good job of holding the switch in place.

I think V-dubstar means get 2 nuts that fit the tread. Put one on screw down to near the bottom of the switch then push the switch up through the hole. Then put on second nut and screw down till it meets the metal support thingy. You might need big washers to stop the nuts from going through the hole and you will probably need to adjust the height that the 2 nuts hold the switch at.

I recon that will do it :)

Just looked at mine. There are two oval plates that screw down onto the fixed bracket. One is threaded and a thinner one has two flats to lock the cylinder once it has been screwed to the correct height. Also the fixed bracket looks too far forward. Mine is just forward of the power steering reservoir

aha, nice one, i have the bottom plate of those two and am sure i had two screws that fit in the holes, fecks knows how the top bit can be missing :?

2 bolts and piece of metal doesn't look like they do a very good job of holding the switch in place.

I think V-dubstar means get 2 nuts that fit the tread. Put one on screw down to near the bottom of the switch then push the switch up through the hole. Then put on second nut and screw down till it meets the metal support thingy. You might need big washers to stop the nuts from going through the hole and you will probably need to adjust the height that the 2 nuts hold the switch at.

I recon that will do it :)

Exactly what I meant, Judith, but with more info! :D