Critical_Mass

Gaz's Bordeaux Pearl VR NEW WHEELS!

Only a small update, but an update all the same.

Removed the tatty, cracked 90mm spoiler for a brand new 50mm spoiler. Looks good, though i did like the low aggressive look the 90mm spoiler gave the car from the front, but i wont miss it catching speedbumps.

Also stupidly, even more stupid considering the above scrape i was complaining about. Today i scuffed the OSR arch which required some t-cutting and a few bits touching up :( im really not happy with myself for doing this :mad2:

Also i need some help. Ever since i bought the car the front drivers side corner of the bumper appears to have 'dropped' a little (you may be able to tell on the pic). The bumper can be moved up and down a little (not loads though) and you can tell its just not sat right against the arch. I first thought one of the round plastic part of the bracket that slides into the grooves on the inside of the bumper had broken, but when i was fitting the splitter today i took a look on the inside of the bumper from underneath - The bracket that the bumper slides onto appears to be intact :scratch:

Anything else that could be causing it not to be sat correctly and able to be moved a little?

Can anyone shine some light on the bumper issue?

Fetch me a torch and it shall be done. Oh, and a train ticket too. And I'll need picking up from the station, but apart from that, I'm good to go. :tongue:

Can anyone shine some light on the bumper issue?

Fetch me a torch and it shall be done. Oh, and a train ticket too. And I'll need picking up from the station, but apart from that, I'm good to go. :tongue:[/quote:1fm3a1ks]

haha! Yeah i suppose it would actually need looking at. I cant see anything wrong when i looked on the inside of the bumper. Im trying to avoid taking the bumper off as the last and only time i did that on a previous corrado i couldnt get it to go back on correctly, funnily enough it looked to have dropped either side.

Well what can i say, the corrado hates me at the mo, with a knocking a squeaky exhaust. I have just bought new bracket to sort this out. But today i went to pick the gf up and pulled up outside her work and steam poured from the bonnet, i lifted the bonnet to find one of the coolant holes had split. So had to limp as far as i could. Luckily there was a Halfords close by so i bought some 'pipe repair paste and some coolant... the only coolant they had which was blue :bad-words: So had to go with that for now.

Managed to botch it and get home but now i have to flush the system and fill back with pink coolant. :( Oh and get a new pipe when i can.

Right, got some coolant tonight and drained the system completely.

It wasnt a hard job, though one thing that i wonder about is - i filled the system and let the car get up to temperature with the expansion tank cap off and squeezed the coolant pipes to get the air out. But the water in the tank would raise and boil over. But if i stopped the car or put the cap on the level would drop and had to be topped up. It would do it again though... not sure why that was happening.

The heater works and the car gets to the right temp, took it for a drive and the car was fine. But when i got home the level had dropped a little and needed another half pint of water in there.

Is the hole in the top rad hose?

No its the one that goes into the bulkhead behind the engine - right next to the ISV damper. It has a T junction on it where a thinner pipe goes to the throttle body. Its only a small hole and ive sealed it best i could until i can replace it... its no longer leaking.

Is your gearbox mount knackered? They can accelerate wear on these pipes.

Doesn't sound abnormal with the coolant. It had probably gotten to boiling point hence coming out the header tank (boiling point is increased with pressure) Top it back up and moniter. If the heater stops, or any of the pipes run cold then you might have an airlock.

Is your gearbox mount knackered? They can accelerate wear on these pipes.

Doesn't sound abnormal with the coolant. It had probably gotten to boiling point hence coming out the header tank (boiling point is increased with pressure) Top it back up and moniter. If the heater stops, or any of the pipes run cold then you might have an airlock.

No dont think so. How can you tell if its knackered?

The hole in the pipe is small, really small. The seam of the pipe is where the hole is.

All the pipes are hot... even the ones going into the bulkhead - the heater does work (I had this on full heat and fan 4 whilst the car got up to temp)

Get hold of the engine, probably by the inlet and give it a good shake, if you can move it, the gearbox mount is probably at fault. You can normally see a thick oily goop all over it if it's gone.

Sounds like it'll be ok, let it cool right down tonight and recheck it tomorrow just to make sure.

Get hold of the engine, probably by the inlet and give it a good shake, if you can move it, the gearbox mount is probably at fault. You can normally see a thick oily goop all over it if it's gone.

Sounds like it'll be ok, let it cool right down tonight and recheck it tomorrow just to make sure.

Cool... i'll check it!

Cheers Tom!

No worries. How is it today?

Dont know yet! :lol: had a lazy Saturday morning and have just watch the Qualifying.... but i will be going out in v soon and will give the engine a rock :D

Well been out in it again and the temps are again fine and the engine feels solid in the engine bay - no real movement.

Though im struggling to seal the hole at the moment. It seems fine until i stop the car and (now) the pipe is dribbling. Ive put some pipe sealer paste over the whole and once thats gone off ive wrapped it in insulation tape.. which is working to an extent.

Cant afford another pipe until week after next.. .so does anyone have any better ideas as to how to plug the small hole for now (im talking a tiny hole..... like the size of a dot from a ball point pen.) OR does anyone have a pipe they would be willing to give me and i can sort them the cash out next week :norty: :D

I had a split coolant hose on my 4Mo last month. The RAC patched it with several layers of tape (the guy said it was specifically designed for the job). So maybe find something similar? It lasted a few weeks fine until I got the hose replaced.

I had a split coolant hose on my 4Mo last month. The RAC patched it with several layers of tape (the guy said it was specifically designed for the job). So maybe find something similar? It lasted a few weeks fine until I got the hose replaced.

Ah ill look into it. Cheers mate.

Typical :lol: it was halfords i went to as it was only down the road from where the car was stranded. If i'd know they did that tape i wouldnt have bought the pipe paste.

Well I'm normally a complete gimp when it comes to fixing cars. So if that tape works out then it will be the first time I've ever come close to helping someone with a car issue. It must be my brain mentally preparing itself for impending Corrado ownership. I've also started throwing money out the window to get used to having an empty wallet :lol:

Well I'm normally a complete gimp when it comes to fixing cars. So if that tape works out then it will be the first time I've ever come close to helping someone with a car issue. It must be my brain mentally preparing itself for impending Corrado ownership. I've also started throwing money out the window to get used to having an empty wallet :lol:

Well in that case i will definately let you know if the tape works! :D

Also just to give you some confidence (maybe), since i've owned the Corrado i've learnt so much more then i knew before - which was a bit, but not much.

Well i went to get some of the Harris tape this morning and got it wrapped round the offending pipe (no puns Tom) and will see how i get on with it. I've put a couple of litres of coolant/water mix in the boot just in case - Fingers crossed it works :D

EDIT - by the way do i have to get the engine up to temp once the tape is applied to get it to seal or anything?

Well the Harris tape didnt work quite as well as i hoped. It was still dribbling despite me using the WHOLE roll.

Still i got a new pipe yesterday and fitted it, wasnt cheap at £45!!! It was the pipe goign from the back right of the engine to the bulk head for the heater matrix and has a T junction in it with a smaller diameter pipe going to the throttle body.

Still at least its fixed now.