Critical_Mass

Gaz's Bordeaux Pearl VR NEW WHEELS!

Cheers guys, i thought they were a good price too Redborbet :D Will 195s look a little thin? Ive just bought some 205s so will run them for a while, at least it'll give me an idea of what the tyres will be like.

They will look fine mate 205s will give you a slight bulge ! Hardly nothing at all and a 195 will do the opposit ie it will be slightly stretch but again hardly anything at all

At least with 205 you may see a little more road comfort ill post you a pic of a 195 for future reference on a 7j rim 16" rim , also could you not contact your seller about the wheel nut seems daft to send bolts out without the right fitment fitment for them especially on a non standard bolt

Cheers for the pic mate. If so then the 205s may give a more squared edge as i notice the 195s do give a tiny bit of stretch, but not much. They look good though. I'll contact the place i bought the wheels from re the nut socket.

Well im a little annoyed. Went to do a fitment check on the wheels on the car, before i went to go get the wheels swapped over and its a damn good job i did... as, yes youve guessed it... they DONT FIT! GRRR!!! :(

The box on each wheel says 5 x 100 ET35! When i went to fit them they wouldnt go onto the hub as the brakes stopped them - looked on the back of the wheels and they say ET30. So they're going to have to go back.. and they better send the replacements out on next day delivery. Its a damn good job i didnt go to the tyre place to get the tyres changed over.

Redborbet - looked at those wheel nuts again and found they fit perfectly in the 17mm wheel wrench socket, so looks like they're ok, just a different shape. The box they came in does say HEX on them, so im guess its just for looks. The hex socket can still be used on them.

Ahh well atleast you dont have to mess about with keeping a hex head fitment in your front ash tray then but its a damn shame about those wheels i hate it when stuff like this goes wrong its gutting when your all exited about somEthing new and you find out they dont fit , i did it with some six pot brembos paid 400 quid for them and they wouldnt fit behind my brock's :(

Yes thats exactly how i feel, was going to get the tyres switched over tomorrow, was looking forward to getting them on the car. So im a little gutted. :(

Still, these things happen. Just means ill have to wait a little longer.

Can you confirm what the VRs standard ET are Red?

Yeah just seen that, the thing is from what ive read higher the ET the further in the arches they fit, so i cant see how ET 35 will be correct??? grr im frustrated. i dont want to get them to send some more out which are ET35 if they'll fit even less.

Just seen you post about et fitments.

The et number relates to how far the mounting point is from the centre of the rim.

For example a 10j rim with et 0 the mounting point will be dead centre (128mm) from the inner face of the rim

As the number goes up the mounting point moves closer to the outer face of the wheel.

A 10j rim with et 30 the mounting point will be 30mm closer to the outer face (158mm).

Hope this clears things up in chosing the correct et and width combo

ummm... I think youre going to need some spacers as it is the mounting face that is fouling.

raising or lowering the ET of a wheel just moves the mounting face and 'spokes' inside the rim, these generally move together giving more or less dish.

I would look at some hubcentric spacers and longer bolts to move the mounting face away from the hub thus moving the 'spokes' away from the brakes

i had a similar issue today.

I wanted to have slightly less dish than my Borbet A's had so went from ET 15 to ET 30 and found not a lot of clearance between the tyre and suspension... ended up having to space all my wheels 5mm to avoid hitting

What spacers did you use. I have some spacers on my current wheels - 3mm. Got them off ebay - they are 5x100 - as opposed to slots for different cars and the hole for the hub is exactly to size so they are hubcentric - but not bolted to the hub themselves. Though the wheel bolts pass through them to hold them against the disc. I think 5mm spacers would be better.

Hi Guys,

Got sent some 10mm hubcentric sent to me. The wheels now clear the brakes, by a good 5mm. Though now i fear, the wheel sticks out a tad too far, not alot but more than i would. Ive attached some pics. In the pics the wheel is turned ever so slightly to the right, so may account for some of the apparent poke. But its hard to tell without the car being on the floor which i cant do until the tyres are fitted, which i dont want to do until i know the wheels fit ring :lol: its a vicious circle.

Im tempted to get maybe 3mm machined off the spacers.

20120323_181843.jpg

20120323_181857.jpg

20120323_181904.jpg

20120323_181929.jpg

20120323_193632.jpg

20120323_193641.jpg

Edited by Critical_Mass

That poke will be fine

You may have to put a slight stretch on the tyres to get them within the arches

As you can see from mine

52085f9b-e229-542c.jpg

What width tyres on what width wheels are those mate?

Rather not run any stretch to be honest. Especially seen as there's plenty of tread on the back tyres and brand new on the fronts - so as you can imagine id rather not have to fork out for some tyres.

mine are 195s on the front and 205s on the rear... all on 9J rims

will be changing fronts to match rears in the next couple of weeks

ah my are 7j and will have 205s all round. The rears should be fine with or without spacers but the fronts prob could do with 5-7mm spacers.

Your car is looking sweet though mate :D

right, this morning i went and bought some 5mm spacers and test fitted the wheel again ontop of the 3mm spacers i already have. Ive discovered i need 8mm spacers minimum - wheel is about 1-2mm clear of the calipers. So im thinking of just going with the 10mm spacers i was sent, which are also hubcentric.

Though now looking at the wheel bolt im not sure its long enough. I have 35mm extended wheel bolts for the current wheels and including the spacer about 12mm sticking out the back. Am i right in thinking this isnt enough? Ive done a search on here and found as long as the length of thread sticking out is at least the diameter of the bolt it should be fine, but just looking for confirmation.

Today i got a cheap part worn tyre fitted to one of the wheels, to see how the wheel sat with a tyre on and it on the floor. Went for a 195/45/16 tyre.

Ive got to say the wheel look to fit alot better now it properly fitted. Havent taken it for a drive for obvious reason, so no idea if it will scrub on the front. But the rear looks fine. I will get some proper pics up once they're all fitted and ive given the car a much needed wash and polish. :oops:

Here's a bit of a teaser for now -

20120327_184252.jpg

20120327_184259.jpg

20120327_185732.jpg

20120327_185801.jpg

20120327_185812.jpg

20120327_185822.jpg