Sign in to follow this  
aussieveedub

mfa troubles

Hi all any advice for me before taking the C to the local vw mech as recently after having the old Gemini alarm removed i have lost all mfa functions,it won't even switch to mpg or clock. cheers Russ from down under

what's the display showing? just the time? If so, it's either lost the connection to the loom which goes to the MFA controls on the stalk, or it's lost an ignition power feed...

Everything else working OK on the cluster? If so, my bet would be that the stalk's been disconnected... ;)

disconnect the leads from both battery terminals, then connect the two terminals together (not on the battery, the wires!) for a few seconds... leave the power off for about half an hour, then reconnect the live, then the earth to the battery and see if it's working again...

I know it sounds mad, but it worked on a couple of my older VWs when I had MFA problems... it's to do with the chip that does the MFA getting a charge on it if the power's been glitched to it which makes it get all confused... :?

oh, and it's worth checking the multi-plug for the MFA stalk anyway, but as you can't alter the clock with the buttons on the cluster either, I'd go for the multi-plug being ok... ;)