monzablau16v

Confirm Porsche Adapter Sizes please?

Hi guys,

Can someone please check over the following for me please?

Info:

My car is a late VR6 currently running the original 15" BBS Solitudes. Theses are 15"x 6.5" ET43

My arches have been "rolled" by which i mean that the lip is not there to catch the tyres, however they are the standard size (i.e not flared out) - hope that makes sense!

I am currently running a fairly sensible drop on KONI coilovers (id say about -25mm from standard ride height)

I am soon to be picking up some Porche 928 wheels :

Fronts:

7x16

ET 65

Rears:

8x16

ET 52.3

I have plugged the info into those offset calculators online and this is what it spits out:

FRONT:

"The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 28mm LESS

The outside edge of the wheel will RETRACT in towards the body by 16mm"

REAR:

"The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 28mm LESS

The outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 10mm"

SO:

Can anyone confirm that I need to get the following thickness 5x130 > 5x100 adaptors:

FRONTS: 20mm

does this effectively means that inner clearance would be -8mm from standard and outer clearance would be +4mm

I assume i could get away with the -8mm and it wont foul on the suspension strut?

REARS: 30mm

does this effectively means that inner clearance would be +2mm from standard and outer clearance would be +40mm

+40mm sounds a lot!?! But is this the compromise with 8" ET53.2 wheels?

Any reccomendations on which adaptors to get (alloy, s.steel, hubcentric, bolts + studs...)? I read that it is worthwile getting ones with pre-inserted studs for the Porche wheels to fit over - makes installation a lot easier than using just normal wheel bolts??

Any thoughts / concerns about this guy selling adapters on eBay? He does them in Steel + Zinc Plating OR Stainless Steel....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hub-centric-Wheel-Adaptors-VW-Porsche-Custom-Made-/250630206071?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a5ab97277

finally - what size tyres should I be getting?

thanks for your assistance! :notworthy:

all depends how you want it to look bud but 30mm all round would be best for most people.. I wouldnt consider anything lower..

i'd buy standard H&R adaptors.. contact http://www.g-werks.com/Contact/1/Default.aspx for a price.

cheers mate...

So i guess i want it to look phat/wide...but not so much so that it compromises handling (heard that running too wide causes tramlining???). I use my car as an everyday driver so these wheels are stricktly summer wheels, but again to be used daily.

If i get 30mm on the back will that be ok - are my calculations correct? It just seems a bit odd that the wheels would be +40mm from standard? Just need to know from someone who has got the same combination of wheel on their car as i know it can be a knightmare trying to get the right adaptor/wheel/tyre combination!

Also i dont mind a teeny weenie tyre stretch, but nothing drastic - roads round here are getting worse and worse!

So what tyres would i use for fronts and what about the wider rears - do i need to maintain "rolling radius" to keep my speedo semi-accurate? (not sure if i am chatting out my butthole on that last comment!) :gag:

ta!

So i guess i want it to look phat/wide...but not so much so that it compromises handling (heard that running too wide causes tramlining???). I use my car as an everyday driver so these wheels are stricktly summer wheels, but again to be used daily.

If i get 30mm on the back will that be ok - are my calculations correct? It just seems a bit odd that the wheels would be +40mm from standard? Just need to know from someone who has got the same combination of wheel on their car as i know it can be a knightmare trying to get the right adaptor/wheel/tyre combination!

30mm will be fine. why does it seem weird? you're changing for wheels 38mm wider, the width has to go somewhere!

So what tyres would i use for fronts and what about the wider rears - do i need to maintain "rolling radius" to keep my speedo semi-accurate? (not sure if i am chatting out my butthole on that last comment!)

Tyre wise 205/40s & 215/40s will be fine for what you're after.. post pics once you're done!

Hi mate. Check out the photos below. The wheels are 16x7 et65 all round with 205/45/16 tyres, 35mm adapters all round and the car is lowered 35mm. I reckon the fronts are about spot on but if you are going to use 16x8 rears with an et52 offset then the wheels are going to sit approx 25mm further out (half of 25mm for the extra inch in width and and extra 13mm for the lower offset figure) An extra 25mm will push the face of the wheel out of the arch slightly but I guess it all depends on how you want the wheels to sit.

P5160007.jpg

P5160008.jpg

P5160006.jpg

P5160005.jpg

thanks for the photos buddy - really useful. Can I ask you how much clearance you get on the rears between the tyre and the suspension strut? Are you running on coilovers or Shocks'n'Springs?

also what adaptors did you get? H&R?

ta!

check me members photos bud, got the same wheels, except 7's all round. What i will say is if you're going to drop it more you will need wider adaptors on the rear. I've got 30mm on the rear and the lockrings and springs rubbed on the tyres. so had to space.

check me members photos bud, got the same wheels, except 7's all round. What i will say is if you're going to drop it more you will need wider adaptors on the rear. I've got 30mm on the rear and the lockrings and springs rubbed on the tyres. so had to space.

just looked at your photos - fark me.... if i dropped my car as low as yours i would get beached on the first speed bump down my road! :grin:

Gonna keep it a sensible height so i can acutally drive the damn thing...just need to confirm the inner clearance on the rears by someone running 8x16" ET 52.3's...so i can confirm the adaptor thickness.

Think the fronts are sorted: 35mm, i like the look of Leon263's front end (ohhh errr :camp: )

cheers

thanks for the photos buddy - really useful. Can I ask you how much clearance you get on the rears between the tyre and the suspension strut? Are you running on coilovers or Shocks'n'Springs?

also what adaptors did you get? H&R?

ta!

I'm running springs and shocks and with the 7 inch rears I have 45mm between the shock body and the inside of the tyre. Adaptors are FK.

lovely, just managed to bag a bargain (or from looking at H&R prices it seems like it is!)

I got a full set (front and back axle) of H&R 30mm adapters. Apparently only done 5K and are in good condition (have to wait till i get them to see for myself - although photos look good).

also included are:

20 Adapter to hub bolts

20 Wheel nuts (the adapters are the ones with the studs - Brucie bonus as that is exactly what i wanted)

4 genuine Porsche locking nuts - apparently over £40 on their own...

I think that's pretty good for just over £150...

Great price for what you are getting. My mate has a staggered set of 928s for sale at the minute so I'll try to borrow an 8 inch one and fit it to the rear with the 35mm adaptor to let you see how it sits. Photos to follow hopefully.

Great price for what you are getting. My mate has a staggered set of 928s for sale at the minute so I'll try to borrow an 8 inch one and fit it to the rear with the 35mm adaptor to let you see how it sits. Photos to follow hopefully.

awesome, very much appreciate you taking the time to do that! Let me know what tyre size are on the wheels too as that is my next decision! So as previously suggested by bristolbaron (cheers) i could run :

205/40 FRONT

215/40 REAR

Was looking to get:

FRONT:

205/45 R16 Googyear eagle F1 GS-D3 (used to have these on my old BBS RMs on my Mk2 golf and loved them - bit soft but immense grip). Can't seem to find decent 205/40 tyres???

REAR:

215/40 R16 Hankook Vento V12 Evo(I heard very good things about them and they are like £63 each which i think is quite cheap)

think it will be ok to mix n match 45 profile front and 40's rear?

ta

Right mate, back again with photos as promised. Current adaptors are 35mm. With my 7 inch rears fitted I had 45mm between the inside of the tyre and the body of the shock. The spring does not enter into it as the bottom of the spring is above the upper limit of the tyre. With an 8 inch rear fitted the clearance was still 45mm. The whole wheel sat 13mm further out due to the lower offset but the inner face of the wheel was 12.5mm further in (half of the extra inch) . The body of the shock is 38mm in diameter, so if your coilover spring goes down the back of the tyre then measure the diameter of your coilover spring, subtract 38mm and divide by two and that will be how much closer your spring will be to the tyre as opposed to my shock body. Personally I don't think you will have any problems with a 30mm adaptor even though the wheel will sit 5mm further in than the one in my photos. Don't know if you have sourced your wheels yet, but as I said my mate has a staggered set for sale. Straight and true and polished to a very high standard. He's open to offers around £450. Tyres are all good. Just to finish off I took a shot of my 7 Inch wheel with a 205/45/16 and one of my mates 8 inch wheel with a 195/45/16 which gives it a nice little bit of stretch. Any questions .......... shout. On to the photos.

8 inch wheel with a 195/45

P5190012-1.jpg

7 inch wheel with a 205/45

P5190011.jpg

P5190010.jpg

P5190009.jpg

you are a legend mate! thanks for them photos and the information.

Appreciate the offer for the wheels, id have them off you however i just purchased some wheels which are being delivered tomorrow! Will get them in for a quick refurb and then on the car in the next few weeks hopefully.

As for tyres - jeez this is getting difficult now! Tyres i want are not in the sizes recommended and from the photo you showed of the 8" with the stretched 195/45 == lovely! I just need to make sure that i can live with the ride quality... as mentioned before i drive it daily and there are loads of potholes round here!

Think they would be fine for the 7" fronts, just need to make sure the ride is not too compromised with the 8" rears... damn decisions decisions!

seen the following tasty tyres in the 195/45 size:

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 GSD3 195/45 R16 84V XL TL (£66 each from camskills)

Continental SportContact 3 195/45 R16 80V (£64.50 each from mytyres)

getting ichy mouse finger syndrome.... need new shiney tyres! :nuts:

ok settled on 195/45 Conti's...£245 delivered from mytyres (they got a 5% discount on at the moment)

fingers crossed i can live with the lower profile! cheers for everyone's help and advice... ill get photos and views once everything is together :salute:

got my H&R adapters :clap: yaaay ...however they are all 25mm contrary to the seller saying they were 30mm BOOO :cuckoo:

hmm... this gives me the following calcs:

FRONTS:

inner clearance would be -3mm and outer clearance would be +9mm from standard

REARS:

inner clearance would be -3mm and outer clearance would be +35mm from standard

rekon this will be okay or do i just send them back???

fun and games continue :clap:

I don't think you will have any problems with those adaptors. I had a look at my fronts and there is a good 40mm clearance between the inner edge of the rim and the strut with the 35mm adaptor , so even with the 25 mm adaptor you will still be OK. We have already discussed the rears and 5mm is not going to make any difference really. Get the pics up asap.

i'm gonna bump this up,i've bought the wheels leon263 mentioned and have 25mil adapters so when i get the wheels on the corrado in the next few weeks i'll get pics to show how exactly they sit

Right after a looooooong time sitting in my garage collecting dust.. these wheels are going on!

Just three quick questions:

1) Anyone know the correct torque setting for the adapter-to-hub bolts?

2) Is it a good idea to thread lock the adapter-to-hub bolts?

3) What is the correct torque setting for the wheel nuts (not bolts...I have the H&R DRM system which has studs that go through the wheel nut holes and then nuts are used to tighten the wheel to the adapter face)

Muchos gracias!

Edited by monzablau16v

Did you get the wheels sorted mate, how did it look with 25mm adaptors?

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

and also how were the 195/45s over the 8s, im thinking of running that setup!!