Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

VR6 tensioner replacement

my tensioner on my VR6 has seized, Has anyone got any information on what i need to order and how much It'll be and where from and how a replace the part? I'm on my mobile so cant search sorry.

ok ive found the replacement guide on WIki so i how to replace the whole unit, but how much is this from VW, or can i just get the baring from someware? My baring is totally seized and i noticed lots of melted plastic around that area?

So at the mo all i need to know is whats bits to replaces, and where to get them from?

thanks for anyone who can help.

the pulley is simple enough to take off the tensioner, but bear in mind that the bolt is a reverse thread when you take it off and it's likely to be pretty tight...

check the pulley wheel itself for wear, and if it's ok then you can simpy press the old bearing out, take it to a bearing place and get it replaced like-for-like then press the new one back in. SIMPLES :d

sounds very much like your pulley has grenaded then sorry pal!

there should be a round pastic bit (like in the picture) with grooves in it for the grooves in the belt to sit into...

if you ain't got it then it's time for a new pulley. i would normally recommend NOT going to GSF for bits, so it's up to you...

think they are about £60-70 from gsf and unsure from the main dealer. that said unless you're doing lots of miles and planning on keep the car for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages, then a gsf jobbie will probably do just fine

Does the pully come on the whole unit from dealer or gsf? Would it be a straight swap of whole unit by undoing those three bolts?

Does the pully come on the whole unit from dealer or gsf? Would it be a straight swap of whole unit by undoing those three bolts?

yes and yes :D

Get this replaced ASAP!! If the belt comes off which it will if you use it in it's current state, the waterpump will not work and your engine will over heat which could lead headgasket failure!!!

A VW part will cost about 80-90 for the whole tensioner. Replace the belt whilst you are there, about £15

It's an easy job. You will need a long bolt (can't remember the size but any good car part shop will have one if you explain) that winds into the top of the tensioner unit to stacken the tension, allowing you to fit the belt. Once the belt is fitted unwind and remove the bolt and the belt will be tensioned.

new tensioners come with "the bolt" iirc...

and yeah - there's no way you should be driving it in it's current state - i'm guessing that if you basically have no pulley left at all though, that the belt is as slack as alice and you weren't driving it anyway (i hope!!!) :shrug:

and yeah - there's no way you should be driving it in it's current state - i'm guessing that if you basically have no pulley left at all though, that the belt is as slack as alice and you weren't driving it anyway (i hope!!!) :shrug:

Mine didn't, and it was/is a genuine VW part.

Mine didn't, and it was/is a genuine VW part.

hmmm - my bad then! i THINK that mine did, but i can't remember that for certain now and i also can't remember if mine was genuine or not...

(nicely definitive there!)

well i noticed smoking coming out of the bonnet so pulled over and noticed something wasnt right so called AA out straight away, so i havent driven it whilst is been broke. just rang VW, the said the pully does not come with the tensioner, it works out about £40 for pully and £50 for tensioner and then £40 for belt, think ill be going elseware as cant afford that at all.

and vagcat doesnt work no more so i cant check :mad2:

-update- just rang gsf, they have one in stock, £57 :) forgot belt so ringing back up now, doh lol.

well i noticed smoking coming out of the bonnet so pulled over and noticed something wasnt right so called AA out straight away, so i havent driven it whilst is been broke. just rang VW, the said the pully does not come with the tensioner, it works out about £40 for pully and £50 for tensioner and then £40 for belt, think ill be going elseware as cant afford that at all.

and vagcat doesnt work no more so i cant check :mad2:

-update- just rang gsf, they have one in stock, £57 :) forgot belt so ringing back up now, doh lol.

£53 here: http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=574

I only ever heard of them coming as one complete unit!

Yeah was8v i saw that but i can pick this one up today and try it tonight. Anyone know if its a seven ribbed belt i need or something different?

Just collecte my new tensioner and belt, the tensioner had seven teeth so i got seven toothed belt, makes sense really. Will try and fit all tonight! Thanks for all links and help guys, been huge help! Will let you know how i get on later.