Sign in to follow this  
DiElBramz

Battery warning light on for days but car still running!

On thursday my battery warning light came on! Its not flickering, but on all the time!

I just parked it up there and then because presumed it would be alternator, which could have me stuck anywhere!!

But its still starting and even took it a wee run lastnight, if it had been alternator presuming battery would be dead by now!! :scratch:

So thinking wiring!? Now scared my cars going to erupt in flames!!! :pale:

Any advice anyone?

the battery light indicate a charging issue, you need to check the charge rate from the alternator, check and clean connections on the battery terminals, ive seen these go green over time a cause high resistance, you need a multimeter on volts, and check the output a idle, should be between 13.6v and 14.2 v if the battery is good, the load alternator by switching on all electrical consumers, and see if the alternator is still delivering good voltage, you can also check alternator amps output, put that test should prove if the alternator is doing its job, also check connection on the back of the alternator.secure and clean.check the alternator belt is tight and not slipping. let me know how you get on.

Cheers for the advice!

Although the alternator appears to maybe have already had work, gonna get it off and take it to someone who refurbs them to check!

Cheers for the advice!

Although the alternator appears to maybe have already had work, gonna get it off and take it to someone who refurbs them to check!

why take it off and refurb it before checking what its delivering. If its still outputing good volts then its fine. If its not giving good volts break the brushes on the alternator. Two phillips screws, if they are 5mm or below buy a new voltage regulator with brushes. About 10pound.

Quick test for the alternator. Start the car with the door open and without touching the accelerator. Watch the interior light. If it brightens up after a prod on the gas it will show if the alternator is providing volts.