Sign in to follow this  
sten

Time for a change

OK my poor old G plate Rado has done a little over 146k and 50k of those have been put on by me the regular run to work involves some lanes and the old M10 (much abuse ensues) now the poor thing has started smoking on idle, this doesn't dissappear when revved so I'm thinking (along with my neighbour) it might be rings, :mad2: If so what are my options and bear in mind my old lady who considers cars a mere form of transport for gods sake. any suggestions are welcome but there is not a bottomless pit of cash couple of hundred atm.

My next door neighbour happens to have a spare valver engine sitting in his garage (of unknown history) bought for £50 of ebay it seems in resonable condition and might be of some use.

So some sensible suggestions would be appreciated also bearing in mind "she who must be obeyed" wanted to know "what's wrong with the wheels youv'e got" when I said I wanted some new rims. :cuckoo:

So feel sorry for me and suggest away.

Currently putting in a 2.0 16v Golf engine from a mk3 gti . . .

Will add that it's very do-able but you need lots of spare time or a few helping hands - have encountered a couple of hurdles which are yet to be overcome but i'm hopeful that with some help from here it might get finished sometime this summer. The government scrappage scheme has put a lot more spare parts into circulation so there are a few places with ABF engines in stock - try Stevens VW breakers for a price, I paid £300 for my new lump.

Mine's an old 1.8 valver with 189,000 on the clock and my arguement is "OK It'll cost £500 quid to fix it or should I go out and spend £5000 on a new car" She who must be obeyed see's sense and I get my repair done. Find out what the worst case scenario is then hit her with appropriate figures.

Mine's an old 1.8 valver with 189,000 on the clock and my arguement is "OK It'll cost £500 quid to fix it or should I go out and spend £5000 on a new car" She who must be obeyed see's sense and I get my repair done. Find out what the worst case scenario is then hit her with appropriate figures.

I like this tactic a lot, I shall use this and thanks woodsy didn't realise the scrappage scheme had an effect on spares tbh.