Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Fuel sender removal

Can anyone give me instructions as to how to remove and refit the fuel pump so i can change the sender? Please

I gave it a shot this afternoon but bottled it and put it back together again. I got as far as removing the 2 rubber fuel pipes on top and unscrewing the top and lifting the top of the fuel pump. I could see the pump sat in the tank but with fuel being in the tank (gauge was almost on red) i bottled it.

If i get as far as i did before can i just lift the pump out of the tank and how do i know what position the pump needs to go back in? Is it clipped to the bottom of the tank to hold it in place?

Also the send on the pump appears to have wires going into it but the new one doesnt look like any electrical connections actually attach to it???

Any help really appreciated

Cheers all.

Gaz

OK, having got the pipes and the big ring collar off, you've cracked the hard part! :clap:

It's a good thing the tank fuel level being low. Just make sure you are doing the job in a well ventilated area with igintion off. Ideally the battery earth should also be disconnected.

DSCN7442a.jpg[/attachment:12l2fjlv]

The pump is held to the bottom of the tank by four attaching points. See red arrows in the photo. Note the position of the sender unit on the side of the pump in the tank for later. Will help knowing its back in roughly the same position.

Turn the pump unit about 3 cm on its circumference in an anti-clockwise direction and lift the pump out. You may have to jiggle it around a bit to get it to come out of the tank hole but it's not an awkward job.

Be mindful of it having some fuel inside which will dribble out. Large old towel or the likes maybe useful to have around.

The sender is clamped/clipped to the side of the fuel pump. Watch the adjustment calibration screw is not moved (black threaded plastic rod.), the item at the end of the green arrow.

Watch when removing/fitting the sender as the white plastic can be brittle and crack.

Refitting is the reverse. Use the sender unit position as rough alignment point get the unit in the correct position, then lock it into the tank bottom by a 3cm turn clockwise. That flat face on the side of the pump at the top in the photo faces the right (off-side) side of the car when in the tank.

Cheers RW1 thats much appreciated

The new sender ive got looks slightly different to the one on the sender. The adjuster screw is on the sender, though on that pic it looks like its on the pump, or am i mistaken?

The adjuster is part of the sender unit.

The sender unit is clipped in down the side of the unit by the two fingers visible in the middle of the side wall of the pump. In the first photo you can see the gap on the left pump unit where no sender is fitted where the "diamond" ribbing is.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCN7443a.jpg[/attachment:36zy3ya9]

DSCN7444a.jpg[/attachment:36zy3ya9]

Now you really are invading my parts dept.!! :lol:

:lol: cheers fella :salute:

The screw just looks different on the new sender i have its just a copper screw and is at an angle.

I'll give this another go... :?

If it's an original Pierburg or Bosch pump and a new sender then you will need a new VDO pump too as they are not compatible...

If it's an original Pierburg or Bosch pump and a new sender then you will need a new VDO pump too as they are not compatible...

Yeah, we realised that, not sure why they did 2 different ones :shrug: Ive got a Pierburg pump and its should be the correct sender. Which cost £117 :shock: But was still cheaper the replacing the pump and getting the cheaper sender.

Is the sender mis-reading or just not at all. I have known them to pop out of the side slot and be lying on the bottom of the tank!

ive just done the same thing and replaced my pierberg fuel pump for a new VDO one and changed the sender. what a chore! i would have loved the bloke who designed the fuel tank and pump to have been there so i could have dropped kicked him! would it have hurt to make everything a little easier to work on?!

The sender still works as the gauge does still work. But the gauge is just erractic, also last time i filled the car right up (which hasnt been for a while :lol: ) i filled it to the first click of the pump to indicate tank full, but the gauge didnt go all the way to the top. I remember working out the tank was according to the gauge was about a litre short of max. Also when i fill up to half tank the needle doesnt stay on half tank very long, but drops to 2/8ths full quite quick.

RIght ive taken another look at the sender - still attached to the pump which was still in the tank. It is black with 2 wires connected on top just like RW1's above. The pump is a Piersburg, RW is yours also a piersburg - i assume it is.

However the new sender i have is blue with the metal adjuster screw and it also in a different position to the one shown above. Plus theres no way to attach the connectors on top, again as on the above one.

Is it the VDO sender that i need for the Piersburg pump, as my mechanic assured me this was the correct one, but theres no name on it. It has part number 535 919 673 B

See pics. (apologies for the rubbish quality).

The sender you have is a pierberg one. The stuff pictured earlier is vdo stuff. Your sender has two wires going into a little plug on the side as opposed to two seperate wires on the vdo one. Your sender has two clips on the side which just slide and clip in. Job done

Cheers for the reply Rob. But im confused now :scratch: ....

If mine is a piersburg sender and pump, but my current sender looks exactly like the on RW1 posted and has the wires clipping on top of the sender just like RW1s how can it be correct?

EDIT - sorry what i meant to say is, my pump and current sender look identical to RW1s bar the pipes are different and RW1s is a VDO pump and sender.. so shouldnt my new sender have the clips ontop?

i can see your pictures properly now im on my laptop. the sender you have bought is a pierberg one (expensive). the sender you need is the VDO one (cheaper)

part number 535 919 673 C rrp 57.53 + VAT.

you actually have a VDO pump which has been replaced at some point because it has jubilee clips on it. the cap on top of the fuel tank is a pierberg cap, VDO do a black one.

aint that confusing! :grin:

oh and i want 10% of the money you have just saved :wink:

i can see your pictures properly now im on my laptop. the sender you have bought is a pierberg one (expensive). the sender you need is the VDO one (cheaper)

part number 535 919 673 C rrp 57.53 + VAT.

you actually have a VDO pump which has been replaced at some point because it has jubilee clips on it. the cap on top of the fuel tank is a pierberg cap, VDO do a black one.

aint that confusing! :grin:

oh and i want 10% of the money you have just saved :wink:

haha right i get it.... so the pump is a VDO but the lid where the pipes go are a Piersburg one. DAMN IT!!! £117!!!

Yeah i owe you a drink at least! haha!

I hope it can be return, my garage ordered it a while ago and he's had it sat waiting for me to pick it up and pay for it. :(

Cheers Rob and thanks for the part no.

Gaz

Er... right this thread takes some reading! :cuckoo:

Edit: Rob's all there with it :clap: I was in the middle of typing..........

My picture of the two pumps, new & used (ex crashed Storm) are VDO 4 bar pumps and one has a VDO sender on the side.

Pump is part number 1H0 919 651Q, sender is part number 535 919 673 (no longer available).

Part number for the white with blue clipping sender, pat no. 535 919 673B is for the 3 bar presure pump (1H0 919 651P) which is unsuitable pump for the VR6 as the fuel pressure regulator is set to 3.5bar.

The replacement pump I can see in the tank is a VDO unit, 1H0 919 651Q so the sender part is as above 535 919 673 originally but is superceded by 535 919 673C as Rob states.

lol: sorry for the confusion. Which was due to the pump being VDO but the 'lid' being piersburg. :cuckoo:

I can order the other one now.

lol: sorry for the confusion. Which was due to the pump being VDO but the 'lid' being piersburg. :cuckoo:

I can order the other one now.

yeah it looks like someone has replaced the fuel pump at some point. the original pierburg fuel pump is no longer available so has to be replaced with the VDO pump and sender.

lets hope you can take the pierburg sender back and get some money back. if not, sell the pierburg one to at least cover the costs of a VDO one

Yeah that will be my next move if i cant get my money back... want to buy it rob? :norty: :lol:

nah I'm good thanks!just replaced all mine with vdo stuff!

Yeah that will be my next move if i cant get my money back... want to buy it rob? :norty: :lol:

nah I'm good thanks!just replaced all mine with vdo stuff![/quote:3vt49t7j]

No problem, i was jesting anyway.. well partly :lol:

Im going to ask you anothe question now. Can the sender be removed and refitted without taking the pump out of the tank?

nah I'm good thanks!just replaced all mine with vdo stuff![/quote:1r0lzkqy]

No problem, i was jesting anyway.. well partly :lol:

Im going to ask you anothe question now. Can the sender be removed and refitted without taking the pump out of the tank?[/quote:1r0lzkqy]

i think its do able. i will have a look at the spare pump and sender i bought. in fact, ive got a spare sender that you need if you want it? i dont know if it works cos i took it out of a scrapped car but i cant see why not?

Cheers for the offer Rob but id rather replace it with a new one so i dont have to do it again... well not for a very long time anyway. :D

If you could check the spare pump you have i would appreciate it.

Cheers