Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Fuel sender removal

no worries mate. well as you can see from RW1's pictures, the correct sender has 2 tags on the bottom of it which clip onto the body of the pump. you need to prize these away from the pump and slide it out from the top. if you can reach the clips in situe then you should be able to take the sender out with removing the pump.

however, you will have the cap and 2 pipes in the way while you are trying to do this, so it would be just as easy to remove the whole pump and slide it out.

as RW1 said, twist the pump anti clockwise and remove from the base of the fuel tank, then slide the whole lot out. make a note of which way the sender sits in the tank (on the right of the pump as you stand at the back of the car)

Aye i'll see how i get on, once i can get another sender... as you know ive just spent £117 ON THE WRONG ONE! DOH! :lol:

Its not removing the pump that bothers me its been able to relocate where it sits in the tank.

Its not removing the pump that bothers me its been able to relocate where it sits in the tank.

Simples, just drop in the tank, it'll sit down in the rough orientation it came out, locate in the bottom, then twist clockwise. Paint will dry faster than this one :lol: Have confidence. Like I wrote earlier, you did the hard part getting that locking collar off the top of the tank. :wink:

Simples, just drop in the tank, it'll sit down in the rough orientation it came out, locate in the bottom, then twist clockwise. Paint will dry faster than this one :lol: Have confidence. Like I wrote earlier, you did the hard part getting that locking collar off the top of the tank. :wink:

Cheers dude. :D

just have a go, whats the worst that can happen?! :eek:

Very true and no doubt once ive done it i'll think - hey it wasnt that bad! :lol:

But with it being a daily, if i cant manage to say get the pump back in i could be left with no transport.

Very true and no doubt once ive done it i'll think - hey it wasnt that bad! :lol:

But with it being a daily, if i cant manage to say get the pump back in i could be left with no transport.[/quote:1omlwbje]

you wont have a problem getting the pump back in, have some faith! :clap:

as long as you arent a complete numpty with spanners and following instructions, its easy peasy. if you want i will send you my number in case you get in a pickle

But with it being a daily, if i cant manage to say get the pump back in i could be left with no transport.[/quote:2n4d2xnp]

you wont have a problem getting the pump back in, have some faith! :clap:

as long as you arent a complete numpty with spanners and following instructions, its easy peasy. if you want i will send you my number in case you get in a pickle[/quote:2n4d2xnp]

aye send one over mate, just in case. :lol:

I assume that if I have a VDO pump already, then I don't need a new VDO sender and wires, like ETKA tells me?

I assume that if I have a VDO pump already, then I don't need a new VDO sender and wires, like ETKA tells me?

No the sender is seperate. :D

Yeah.

TPS were trying to get me to buy lots of stuff. On back order from Germany, so no idea when the pump will arrive though :(

Yeah.

TPS were trying to get me to buy lots of stuff. On back order from Germany, so no idea when the pump will arrive though :(

Ive just ordered a VDO sender and it wont be here til mid june. :(

Yeah.

:( Oh dear! I'd heard that they didn't know if there was any stock in Germany, but didn't think they would take that long to send through!

Yeah.

:( Oh dear! I'd heard that they didn't know if there was any stock in Germany, but didn't think they would take that long to send through!

Fuel pump turned up today. Fingers crossed the sender is as quick for you. :)

Fuel pump turned up today. Fingers crossed the sender is as quick for you. :)

Great stuff. The car been off the road until it turned up then.

To be honest i havent rang the garage about it, but i doubt its turned up :lol:

Sorry to bring this up again but...

Gave it another go today, i cannot for the life of me get the damn pump to release. Turning it is impossible, it will not budge. Tried pressing down on it and turning, still wont move.

Any advice?

Cheers.

Can you get your hands inside the tank? One thought is to put an oil filter rubber strap tool around the bottom half avoiding trapping the sender arm and turn anticlockwise with the tool handle inside the tank.

(Don't use a filter strap type tool so don't know how big a diameter they will go to.)

Normally its turn 3cm on the circumference anti-clockwise to unlock the key ways in the photo on page 1 and then lift out veritcally. No real effort at all.

Can you get your hands inside the tank? One thought is to put an oil filter rubber strap tool around the bottom half avoiding trapping the sender arm and turn anticlockwise with the tool handle inside the tank.

(Don't use a filter strap type tool so don't know how big a diameter they will go to.)

Normally its turn 3cm on the circumference anti-clockwise to unlock the key ways in the photo on page 1 and then lift out veritcally. No real effort at all.

Yeah can get my hand inside the tank. It turns about 1cm but wont turn anymore. The pump does feel a little loose but still it wont twist anymore :scratch:

Starting to think that when the pump was changed the pump wasnt put back in properly and the reason it wont come off now.

I have an oil filter strap tool that should go round it i'll give that a go tomorrow maybe.

It may be you've turned enough and it just won't come out vertically cos its a tight fit with the key way.

Had another look mate and still cant get the bugger out! :lol:

I can tilt the pump ever so slightly, which would suggest that side is free, but the opposite side is still being held. May have to get it into the garage and let him sort it. Even then he may not be able to get it out.

Have you tried twisting or wiggling it a bit with the one side tipped up a bit?

Wonder if there's a foreign body stopping it turning properly.

Want to make comments about you being up to your elbow, twisting and tugging hard.

Have you tried twisting or wiggling it a bit with the one side tipped up a bit?

Wonder if there's a foreign body stopping it turning properly.

Want to make comments about you being up to your elbow, twisting and tugging hard.

yup given that a go. :-( Im only wanting to change the damn sender :lol: going to see if i can just take the sender off with the pump in place, its clipped on at the bottom so will see if i can get the clips to release.

As for the comments - i expect nothing less from you Tom! :lol:

Weeeheeey!!!! FINALLY managed to get the pump out.

Took a bit of wobbling to begin with that, then an almighty tug and it popped off. (worded just for you Tom :lol: )

Then changed the sender and back in again.

Hope it sorts the shoite fuel gauge out!