Sign in to follow this  
monzablau16v

Water Collecting in door - need additional drain hole?

Hi,

been washing the car today and as it happens both my door cards are off as i am doing some maintainence work on the leccy windows. Right, here is the issue/problem, after i gave the car a thorough washing, i took a look to see how the water was draining and i noticed that there is a lot of water collecting right at the end of the door. Now this could be partly due to my drive having a slight decline (so the back of my car is higher than the front). Obviusly i could park the car the other way around so the water doesnt collect like it is doing now... but its ovbiously something which i thought could be overcome easily by just adding a new drain hole close to where the water trap is?

Got some pics to help explain my point.

This shows the water collecting at the very end of the door, again due to my car's front being lower than its phat arse...

img4189y.jpg

Rekon i could get away with making a tiny 3mm hole further forward - obviusly id make sure it is treated with suitable stuff to prevent rust and ill also waxoil this door once i have had a chance to clean all the gunk out of it!

img4192n.jpg

This is the driver side where i have put some sound deadening and also some acoustic foam. I purposly put the foam up off the floor so it wouldnt interfere with the drain holes and also to prevent it from being left soaking in any standing water...hard to see but there is about a 10mm gap from the bottom of the foam to the bottom of the door.

img4194m.jpg

So this is my new window scraper seal which i installed a week ago. It doesnt actually touch the window and i have tried to press it closer but without going all he-man on it (reluctant to do unless absolutely necessary!) I cant seem to get rid of the 1mm gap between it and the glass.... Anyone confirm if this is how it supposed to be or should it actually be in contact with the glass (the latter makes more sense to me!)

any thoughts?

cheers

come on Meerkats - let's have yer thoughts!

...especially on getting the window scraper seal to butt up against the glass..... do i just attack it with a rubber mallet :brickwall:

ta

those window trims never press against the glass AFAIK, they're certainly not designed to stop water entering the door.

I've never notice any water pooling nside the door, is you car really low at the front, or parked on a hill??

it's not stupidly low, but yes as mentioned my drive does have a slight decline.

thanks for the other info regarding the window scrapers... it seems some people's do make contact, whilst other people's dont !

I've been planning on drilling an extra hole right up front on the doors, it's all hills ere in sheffield, water manages to collect and get in places you wouldn't believe on the hills ere.