Sign in to follow this  
1977amm

water pump pulley & new serp belt

I think I've got a problem with the water pump pulley on my VR6.

Very briefly the serp belt snapped a month or so ago so the car's just been sitting in my garage since then. I'm mechanically inept but I managed to get a new belt and fit it last week. There was still a rattle coming from the area of the belt and I guessed that it was the tensioner that was at fault so I got myself another tensioner off ebay. I fitted that this evening - no small achievement for me!

Anyway, to cut a long story short all is still not well and there is a rattle coming from the left hand side of the engine and it looks like the belt is moving a bit. I investigated further and I noted that there is some play/movement in what is (I think) the water pump pulley so I think this must be the culprit. I have checked, double checked and checked again that the belt is fitted properly so I don't think the belt is the issue.

How do I sort this? Is this something that I could do myself? I see that there are 3 bolt holes on the pulley but no idea how to access them.

All help/suggestions very welcome!

Thanks.

More likely it's the pump that is the issue - nice and cheap from VW (exchange part)

Fitting is easy enough but engine needs to be jacked up for access - RW1 did a write up in the Sprinter magazine a few years ago.