Sign in to follow this  
Thom

Heater Matrix, Help Needed Please :-/

Hi,

I decided to have a crack at changing the heater matrix today, and have got along fine up until the point of undoing the nuts on the engine bay side to losen the box for pulling out. The lower nut and thread have become one and I can't turn the nut without the whole thing moving (even when holding the thread with pliers and heaps of WD40). Have given up for the day but am going to go out and carry on tomorrow....does anyone know if i can hold this thread in anyway from inside the car and have someone take the nut off from outside.

I've so far been trying to do this with the dash in, but full centre console, glovebox and lower trim/vents removed.

Cheers

Thom

i dont know if this works when you are not taking the whole dash out, but on the inside of the bulkhead the bolt does not have a normal hex end - instead it is terminated with a much larger plastic threaded piece which in turn screws into the plastic housing for the matrix.

this happened to me and eventually i managed to spot the plastic screw thread was undoing itself from the matrix housing. therefore i just carried on and it eventually released it. however, without taking the dash out i dont know if you'd have the movement needed for the matrix housing to be pushed away from the bulkhead.

hope that makes sense, try and look up from the footwell to where the bolt comes through the bulkhead and you might be able to see what i mean.

Sounds familiar! :lol: Reckon you've actually undone it- have you tried pulling the box forwards? Mine did the same- got so far, then just seemed to spin around. Just pull the heater box- may need a bit of a wiggle. Have you undone the 3rd one on the right (behind/below expansion tank)? I also didn't spot that for a while...

HTH!

Ahhh, I think that's probably it then! :) , thanks to you both!