Sign in to follow this  
W3RKD

gti international..

With you 100% there Lee.

To add to the point you made about the costs that traders incur in attending a show like Inters, I had a conversation on this subject late last summer with the head of one of the big tuning companies who displayed at Inters last year. Consider all this lot as costs:

a) Cost of closing the business for three working days (Thursday pm is spent loading the vans, Friday spent travelling, Sat/Sun at the show, and Monday am spent unpacking the vans). That's four days paying everyone's salaries, without any income aside from the margin on what you sell at the show.

b) Cost of Van Hire (thier normal van is not big enough, so they hired two vans for 5 days)

c) Petrol

d) Two nights hotel accomodation for all the staff doing the show. And food... And drink...

e) Cost of the pitch at the show (they had one of the prime pitches)

His rough estimate of all this lot added together? About £14,000... believe me you gotta sell a lot of stuff (both at and after the show) to justify that lot as a business...

This will be my 5th Inters and the third with the 'Rado. I've read everyone's post and agree with the majority. The old TRL was the best I’ve been to, but, speaking to the old hands even the TRL had its problems in the early days.

What disappoints most is that shows like Inters are losing track of what’s important. The average owner. I've not got a show car and never will. However, I’d love to have it at Inters and meet anyone interested in the 'Rado. Judging by the emails I receive from the CCGB website there's still many people out there who love them and want to know more.

This not just the shows though. A number of the small clubs and forums (you know who you are) have started in-fighting. This is bad for the clubs, the forums, the shows and importantly the members.

For those of you who are attending Inters remember why you're there.

p.s. I'm in Colchester 20 miles south of Inters. If anyone wants to meet (early) before hand feel free to PM. I'll also be hovering round the CCGB on both days.

Jamie

Can't speak for the other Clubs, but I have booked three Club stant lots for the Corrado Club.

John

im coming into this heated debate a bit late in the day. Im with corradostorm, a show shouldn't JUST be for the ppl who spend big money on their cars...OK maybe they should be at the front of the pitch....but the majority of ppl attending are owners of normal cars who would be more than willing to polish the car for the weekend and hove ppl ask them questions about it...... personnaly id rather look at subtle mods that i can afford to do myself on all the corrados there, than be stuck with only being able to stare wishfully at the £10000 thats been spent on one or two cars.

i went to JAPS and JAE last year with my CRX. paid £5 to park it on the massive plot that was allocated to the CRX forum and enjoyed looking at the other cars of fellow enthusiasts

i may wander to inters if im not doing anything else...but thats the point...it should be something that all VW owners have in their diarys!

(that'll be £4.50 please) :p

I don't think any VW show is all about big budget cars really, and I include Inters in that.

Of course out on the Concours/Show n Shine arena there are a number of £££cars, and that's inevitable I think, but at the same time many of the very best cars at the show are not built on big budgets, but come together mostly because of the talent, imagination and simple pure bloody hard graft of the part of the owners. For example if you guys knew what G60Renshaw tiny budget for his completed TT dash conversion was, you'd all cry in disbelief.

I would certainly say that even those cars which are called "big budget" in VW-land are built for £buggerall compared with a lot of the stuff you see on show at things like Trax or Maxpower live. Christ, I've seen a number of Skyline, Supra and Evo's show cars with over £50k spent on just the engine alone...

John