Sign in to follow this  
G60_edge

Rear Axle Bush 8mm location

Just installing my rear bushing. Can someone confirm where the 8mm dimension is measured to on the bush.

Is it the larger outer diameter or the smaller diameter that sticks out further

Thanks

yeah, I suppose I wasn't very specific.

The rear axle bushes. In the Bently manual is states that they should protrude 8mm out of the axle. However, the bush is stepped. There is the larger outer diameter which is pressed into the axle and this is what I assumed to need to protrude by 8mm. However, there is also a smaller diameter that sticks approx. 6mm more past the outer diameter. Having just done one I had a horrible thought that it meant the end face of the smaller diameter, in which case I've gone too far!

Does this make sense?!

As descriped in this thread and shown in the photo.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=87627&p=1049438&hilit=8mm+bush#p1049438

Thanks

must be the bush itself, i.e. the outer case and not the inner bolt slot

do you know about the pretensioning as well?

must be the bush itself, i.e. the outer case and not the inner bolt slot

do you know about the pretensioning as well?

Yeah, I know about the pretensioning, hence my question really. The pretensioning is ultimatley defined by the location of the smaller outboard bolt hole.

I agree though, it must surely be the outer case for the 8mm distance. It looks right!

I got two pictures first is the original bush untouched as it came out of the factory, the second is a new bush fitted by an independant VW place.2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf04042009153 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:28ast608]

They look like they have been pushed in the same, ie all the way in giving maybe the 8mm sticking out on the outside, i left the mounting in place and just refitted although it was quite tight and needed some fettling.

/\ yep i marked my mounting bracket location before removing so i put them back in exact factory position, it's gotta be a tight fit, i had to use a lever bar and rubber mallet to get one end back in, that's the pretensioning people go on about - i hope.

Cheers for the replies and photos.

In my eagerness to hack the old bushes out I didn't take a good 'before' photo. Stupid!

From the photos it looks like it's 8mm to the outer bush diameter. Good news as thats what I've done.

Fitting it back between the brackets sounds like fun!

Thanks for the info