Sign in to follow this  
daniboy1_2_3

Welding new sill and arch

My corrado is in need of a new sill and rear arch, has anyone here replaced a sill or arch themselves?, if so im just looking for some advice for the best way to go about it as i have limited experience of this type of work. I know its probably left to the professionals but im keen to have a go, and i have the time, space and equipment to do it. If anyone has carried out this kind of work id be interested to hear from them, especially if there is any kind of photographic record of it, thanks.

Whereabouts are you Dan?

That's quite a big question you've asked, which is prob why nobody's responded. If you're serious about doing it yourself, the first thing you'll need is to sourc your replacement panels, as they'll show you where the relevant seams are - chances are some of these'll be hidden by paint, filler, seam sealant & body trim when on the car.

To replace that much sheetmetal is quite a big job even if the new panels fit perfectly. You'll most likely be better off if you repair the existing panels. Post up some pics dude & let's take a look at it :D

Sorry for the late response and thanks for the reply. Im in the north-east in a place called thirsk, about 20 miles from York. Im away with work at the moment so i cant post any pictures up at the moment. The rear third of the n/s sill is rotten, along with the outer and inner arch. I have sourced some replacement panels but it looks like its going to be quite a job to trim them down to exactly what i need. I was hopeing other members might have tackled something similar themselves. Its probably best left to somebody who does it for a living, i dont know anyone who works in a bodyshop either but im quite keen to have a go. I suppose im best off cleaning it all up and seeing how bad things are first then posting some pictures up. I guess the sills are spot welded along the door closure seem?.

Hi good luck with your sill and wheel arch repairs,can i be cheeky and ask where you got the sill repair section from as i am after a o/s one for my car Thanks Paul

Hi good luck with your sill and wheel arch repairs,can i be cheeky and ask where you got the sill repair section from as i am after a o/s one for my car Thanks Paul

that would be me still got drivers side sill complete?

Has anybody welded a new sill or arch onto their corrado here? I have received my replacement panels from a donor shell. I have the full sill, including inner sill and floor lip, all the way back to the rear outer and inner arch, which is currently all in one piece. My first job will be to trim it down to exactly what i need. The outer and inner arch are bonded together so i need to know if its going to be feasible to replace these panels without seperating them first. I know the inner arch has a seam near its outer edge so this would be where i removed the old metal and attempt to put the new piece in here. Then id have to trim the outer arches to match one another and put the whole piece in. Can anybody see a problem with doing it this way?

Im pretty sure ill have to replace the whole sill as the rear third is rotten and there is a nasty rust scab towards the front, it wouldnt really make sense to repair it now i have a full sill to replace it with. Ill have to seperate the inner sill and floor lip from the outer sill, quite a lot of work but this is my plan so far. Any help, tips or advice much appreciated.

If you cut out both the inner + outer sill without welding in bracing before hand, the shell 'sag'. You prob won't notice this until after you've welded in the new sill & go to fit the door.

I wont be cutting the inner sill out mate, just the outer. Ill have to seperate the inner and outer sills on the panels i have been provided though. I was thinking about bracing the door aperture just in case although the car will be supported evenly down that side.

you won't need to brace the shell if the inner sill is left intact, as that part of the shell is under tension. Just make sure there are no gaps between the new metal & the shell before you start welding, as this will also tweak the shell.