Sign in to follow this  
joshyp

MIJ Exhaust any good?

I have one on my VR6 and I like it. It has a nice fit but is a little low as the rear box is mounted the other way and scraps on speed bumps. Its the same as the pic on the corrado on their site. I love the sound of mine it makes a nice sound on overrun but is not massively loud at motorway speeds.

They ask you what you want in terms of sound and then build it to that for you so you can go loader than stock if you like. I asked for just a little more than stock and thats roughly what I got.

There is a thread on here that disscuses them more I am sure but as I am on a crap connection I cannot seach for it. :(

Steer well clear is my opinion,

I had a 2001 Alfa GTV V6, they fitted a system to my car that was about 1.5" diameter in places, i didnt really pay attention as it was a long day (east Sussex - birmingham) and i wanted to get home.

When i phoned up to ask them why the f88k they had fitted a car with 220bhp with a pea shooter the guy tried to fob me off telling me it was done to raise back pressure, when i told him that that diameter pipe would only just flow enough for my engine if the pipework was perfectly straight with no bends, kinks or silencer boxes to slow down exhaust flow he reluctantly agreed to re do the system (basically when he realised i know what im talking about)...

To be fair to them they did re do the system properly the second time but i had to drive up there twice to get it sorted, if i didnt know better i would have been stuck with a shitty system....

I've got one on my VR and I'm very happy with it. No knocks or rattles very tight fitting. Sounds nice on tickover (nice burble) and not chav loud at motorway speeds. Sounds sweet when the engine is pushed further up the rev range (so I've been told anyway) IIRC you get to choose how loud you want the system rated 1 to 10. I chose 5 mid sports. It takes some time to fit and its located in the middle of an industrial estate so take a book to read or something to stop boredom. As stated above the rear box is low but you'll save some weight as the middle box is removed. Also I had a sports cat installed too think I paid £120 for that.

Alan

I've got one on my VR and I'm very happy with it. No knocks or rattles very tight fitting. Sounds nice on tickover (nice burble) and not chav loud at motorway speeds. Sounds sweet when the engine is pushed further up the rev range (so I've been told anyway) IIRC you get to choose how loud you want the system rated 1 to 10. I chose 5 mid sports. It takes some time to fit and its located in the middle of an industrial estate so take a book to read or something to stop boredom. As stated above the rear box is low but you'll save some weight as the middle box is removed. Also I had a sports cat installed too think I paid £120 for that.

Alan

What bore is your pipework?

^^ Off the top of my head I think its 2.5 inches I'll get the OD callipers out at work and verify that though

I had mine fitted from there bout a year ago, should be somthing on the search under MIJ, still happy with mine even now its on another C, sounds very throaty :D

Well I got the OD callipers out and the outside diameter is just a tad over 2 inches. I checked at a couple of different locations along the exhaust.

Well I got the OD callipers out and the outside diameter is just a tad over 2 inches. I checked at a couple of different locations along the exhaust.

So its probably 53mm OD which will be about 49mm ID,

They are tight on their pipe diameters imho, bigger diameter pipe = more expensive.

My advice is, if your going to get your exhaust fitted there, make sure you specify what YOU want, you should be running at least a 2 1/4" system on a VR imho.

Yep too late for me now. What is the diameter of a stock VR exhaust?

think its approx 57mm from memory, im sure someone will verify that.