Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Number plate transfer

Right, was thinking of maybe getting myself a new no.plate t'other day, nothing special but something a bit more personalised.

Now, if I bought the new plate and had it put on, do I have to sell the old one? Can I keep the old one?

I guess my main question is, if and when I come to sell the car, and I wish to keep my number plate, would I have to buy a new reg to go on the car then? Or as mentioned above, could I keep the old reg? If so, for how long?

Keep the old reg when you put the private one on But when/if you decide to sell the car you put the private plate on retention and the dvla will issue you with a plate from that year which is usually the same one but not always

Keep the old reg when you put the private one on But when/if you decide to sell the car you put the private plate on retention and the dvla will issue you with a plate from that year which is usually the same one but not always

every time i sold a car i always was given the original plate back. to get your number plates made i use a site called 4 plates. they have made all my plates i have ever needed and they are cheap as well.

So can I sell my plate? And if I did, when it came to selling the car, DVLA would get me another one on the same reg letter then is it?

no, you cant sell your plate, unless it was another private registration you bought.

when you put on your new one you theoretically lose the old one, but 95% they will give it back to you when you take your private plate off, its just not guaranteed.

no, you cant sell your plate, unless it was another private registration you bought.

You can infact sell a plate that was an original issue when the car was first registered as long as it doen't say "non transferable" against it on the V5C.

However, if you had an original plate that was taken off and replaced by a private plate, when that plate goes back on the car (when private plate removed), it then becomes non transferable.