DANG60

Brembo caliper refurbing

Ive just bought a cheap set of ibiza brembos for my corrado. However they do require a refurb. Im gonna get them powdercoated etc. I have searched on here and other places on the net. Does anbody know where to buy the seal kits from for the calipers? I know i could go to seat but i also know they are a fortune from them. Where else would do these reubild kits? If anbody has done thios in the past could you drop me a few pointers.

Thankyou

Ive just bought a cheap set of ibiza brembos for my corrado. However they do require a refurb. Im gonna get them powdercoated etc. I have searched on here and other places on the net. Does anbody know where to buy the seal kits from for the calipers? I know i could go to seat but i also know they are a fortune from them. Where else would do these reubild kits? If anbody has done thios in the past could you drop me a few pointers.

Thankyou

Biggred is a good place to start.

thanks grease griff that looks like the sort of thing im after. Shame hes not a bit more adventurous with the colours then id just send them off to him to do :norty:

having refurbished a set myself, all I can say is DON'T DAMAGE/LOSE ANYTHING! When I stripped mine down I cleverly (!) assumed parts cost/availability would be the same for any other vw caliper threw all 8 piston dust seals away before checking how much replacements were. I also had to cut the crossover pipe off to get a flank drive socket onto the seized tube nuts. In the time between stripping & getting the calipers back from powdercoating I also lost one lip seal (no idea how!). Anyway, the dust seals were £82ish (Ted Johnson Seat), the lip seal was £17 (Competition Braking Products, Seat don't sell 'em separately), decals werer £6 (decalsandstickers.co.uk), & Brembo don't sell crossover pipes at all, so I had to make my own. I Decided I wanted stainless pipes (cunifer looks gash), so then had to spend £150 on a flaring tool, £80 on 3m of tubing, & make a decent bending tool.

So I guess what I'm saying is to go from this:

DSC02686.jpg

to this:

DSC03806.jpg

could well end up costing you an absolute fortune!

In terms of finish, I split my calipers before powdercoating so I had better access to the piston bores for masking off (I used mocap 210 tape - your powdercoaters should be able to provide you with some), but you could split them, mask off & bolt back together before powdercoating if necessary.

To avoid buggering the dust seals on removal, put a thick lump of wood in the caliper, & pressurise the feed line to the caliper with an air compressor. The lump of wood will prevent any pistons popping out & smashing into the opposite piston, & also ensure all pistons extend equally. Once extended 15-20mm, you should be able to pull them out manually through the dust seals. Once out, you should be able to (carefully!) pry out the dust seals from within the piston bore.

If you do end up mullering up your crossovers, I'll happily make you up a set of nice new stainless ones for £25 delivered :salute:

Good luck!

Thanks for that benjo, i havent picked them up yet so not sure how easy theyll come to bits, alot easier after reading your write up id imagine. Il let you know about the link pipes when i know where im at with them. Cheers :notworthy:

ah cool , il try seat next week. the brakes need painting new dics pads and flexis hence why i want to refurb them properly. They only cost £100 quid so cant complain really :lol:

As long as you keep the replacement-part shopping list to a minimum (i.e. none if poss!), it's worthwhile doing it yourself.

Nice work with the stainless pipe - how easy is it to flare??

I fancy doing the brake lines that run under the car in stainless...

Nice work with the stainless pipe - how easy is it to flare??

Cheers dude! It's a real bitch, unless you've got a decent tool. Absolutely impossible with the £30 sealey jobbies.

I fancy doing the brake lines that run under the car in stainless...

My mk2 will be getting all stainless hardlines. Just got to finish building the firewall, rebuild the rear arches, paint the shell, fit the dash, put some suspension on, rewire the car etc first!

Yeah - I know someone who s stuggling to flare the OE steel stuff with an £80 Franklin tool as the pipe keeps slipping...

I assume you were using a Sykes Flaremaster???

Yeah - I know someone who s stuggling to flare the OE steel stuff with an £80 Franklin tool as the pipe keeps slipping...

I spent a fair amount of time looking into which was the best tool for the job, & tbh, you have to spend twice that to get something that will work every time. Spending less is a false economy.

I assume you were using a Sykes Flaremaster???

Negative. T'is a Draper "Expert Brake Pipe Flaring Tool Kit" PN 49447:

49447_BPF-PRO-KIT.jpg

Whilst looking into it, this video clinched it for me:

The Eastwood tool is a rebranded version of the Draper. Exactly the same in all other respects.

I picked up my brakes last night and they dont have this cross over pipe and there is no where to put one. Must be 2 different types of calipers :confused4:

Benjo! Are you still on the forum?

I'm in need of some bridge pipes after a refurb to my brembos, can you still do them?

Otherwise I'll have to get copper and paint them, which isn't as nice.