Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

A quick wheel offset question

Right, Im not too clued up on how the offset works on rims - I think the et figure is basically mm? from where the wheel would bolt to the hub, if et0 is in the middle of the rim, is that correct? Excuse my awkward way of trying to explain myself lol! So et43 (which I think is what VR6 Speedlines are?) is 43mm towards the outside of the rim?

If I were to buy some wheels, with an et98, does this mean the rims would be sitting inside the arch 55mm more than the Speedlines, and need a 55mm spacer to compensate, or be sitting outwards than the Speedlines by 55mm?

:confused4:

i'd be amazed if there were wheels out there of ET98. 4x98 is a not uncommon bolt pattern for other makes of car but 4 or 5x100 is what you need for corrados

i'll try to find the link that explains offset so i dont have to type it out!

Thanks mate. Yeh I know, PCD is 5 x 100, but the person's emailed me saying it says et98 on the rim!! I've asked for photographic evidence and to double check coz that seems a little mental! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_(wheel)

or

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

but basically offset is the gap between the centre line of the wheel and the mounting face of the wheel.

a speedline is et43 which means the mounting face is 43mm away from the centre line of the wheel towards the spokes. if you leave the shape and design of the wheel constant and just extend the mounting face to the centre line of the wheel then as you say that is ET0.

however, if you do that, the wheel will sit further out of the arch because the hub has not moved.

the biggest offset wheels i've heard of are porsche design 90s/928s etc which are about et60. as i say, i dont think 98 is the offset unless they're from something very unusual!!

They're from a scooby, but from my research all their numbers seem to be around the 50-55 mark. Must've been a mistype!!

Thanks mate :salute:

They're from a scooby

:confused4:

Care to elaborate

Nope! :lol:[/quote:1ysaqlze]

Gay :camp: :p

:lol: