Sign in to follow this  
v8rumbler

VR6 chains etc

I a currently looking to buy a VR6. ideally with good solid body and all the normal nasties under the skin already sorted. I know about heater matrix & light switch etc but how important is it to have the chains done at around 100k? some cars have had the chains/tensioners and clutch all done but some seem to only have had the tensioners done.

If properly serviced I presume the chains last a lot longer!!!!

Any advise greatly received

its not a hard and fast rule. if you dont plan to do many miles then no great rush if you're skint. if you've got the money and you know you're keeping the car for 50k miles/5 years then anytime from then on is a worthwhile investment

at 120/130k miles though then clutch and chains should make about 500 difference to the price

Thanks for the info- some cars seem to have the chains etc done---Am I correct in thinking this is an engine out job? Others have just had the tensioner done--Is this done with the engine in place??? and therefore the cheaper option. Can the tensioners all be done without taking the engine out?

the engine can stay in to do the chains think just the gearbox has to come off to give access might be wrong though :ignore:

this came up recently and there seems to be quite a difference in opinion, i bought my vr6 with 131,000miles on it, its now just about to hit 190,000miles after 3.5yrs owning it and its still on original chains and tensioners.

i think my piston rings and valves will wear out before the chains/tensioners, i mean where do you stop, do you replace the oil pump in case that seizes?

i haven't noticed any engine write-offs mentioned on here due to chains/tensioners

this came up recently and there seems to be quite a difference in opinion, i bought my vr6 with 131,000miles on it, its now just about to hit 190,000miles after 3.5yrs owning it and its still on original chains and tensioners.

i think my piston rings and valves will wear out before the chains/tensioners, i mean where do you stop, do you replace the oil pump in case that seizes?

i haven't noticed any engine write-offs mentioned on here due to chains/tensioners

Agreed, nor have I. But I have seen lots of broken guides come out of engines having chains done so it is definitely a risk, if a low one. The benefit of doing the clutch at the same time makes it worth it overall i think though.

For the job itself, if you have a ramp to do it then taking the gearbox out from underneath is possible (Stealth do this) but if doing yourself then engine out is far easier and allows you a good look at everything.