MaverickG60

Corrado 20vT Project - update coming soon...

Hi guys,

I've had my '92 G60 in storage since September last year with the intention of giving her some much needed TLC. Recently I decided to put the engine, gearbox, ECU and loom up for sale as I fancied something a little different, I sold the engine a few weeks back to a chap who wanted it for a Mk1 Golf conversion.

Below are pictures of the G60 engine removal.

ProjectCorrado124.jpg

ProjectCorrado127.jpg

ProjectCorrado126.jpg

ProjectCorrado129.jpg

ProjectCorrado134.jpg

ProjectCorrado137.jpg

ProjectCorrado139.jpg

ProjectCorrado138.jpg

ProjectCorrado141.jpg

ProjectCorrado144.jpg

Exciting times, the engine turned up :clap:

I considered all sorts of engines, R32, charged VR6, 1.8 T etc. But I happened to stumble across this little beauty on eBay.

It's 2.0 TFSI lifted from a 2008 (58 plate) Golf GTI with only 10k on the clock :shock:

Included in the sale I got;

Gearbox

Loom

ECU

Clocks

Keys

Turbo

... and all this VW goodness - £1100

Here's some pictures of the engine

018.jpg

019.jpg

017-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

The pictures don't do the engine much justice, it's immaculate.

Will be sorting out what I need to make this a smooth (as possible), conversion, which I have to say, I haven't seen many around.

Edited by MaverickG60

Wow looks like a great project! Best of luck, whats the engine output?

The book says 200PS, but having spoke to many Mk5 GTI owners and researched tuning options, they can produce around 260-280bhp. With uprated internals, injectors and a KO4 turbo you'll be over 300bhp.

Nice looking project, and one I considered when I owned an 8V Corrado.

When I looked into it I spoke to a mate who worked for JBS who said that they'd made a start on a Corrado 2.0 TFSI conversion but had run into difficulties with the clocks/loom etc. He since left JBS and I didn't hear anything more, so it'd be good to see one running :) I understand JBS also have plans for the custom engine mounts required to fit the engine into a Corrado - I'm not sure whether this is true or not but it might be worth a phone call...

Will be watching this one closely! :salute:

where did u get the gsf overalls lol...

they are only gsf hoodies, but ive got t shirts and a hat aswell :lol:

i dont work there either!

there was a guy on here JIMMI from up north who started doing the same conversion but not sure if he finished it though?? i can see this conversion being more popular than the r32 conversion soon.

looks good - if i was buying another corrado to do another conversion on, i would be going down this road.

will be watching with interest :)

i dont work there either![/quote:sltfkcxr]

Fella! How we doing? So when are you and Jof free to help get this motor in? :grin:. I was going to ask you to come and have a look and see what you thought etc.

by the way, i take it you'll just be selling the gearbox and running an o2a...

or will that gearbox that came with the engine (whatever code it is), sit on the original mounts? be nice if that's the case - 6 speed goodness :D

i dont work there either!

Fella! How we doing? So when are you and Jof free to help get this motor in? :grin:. I was going to ask you to come and have a look and see what you thought etc.[/quote:1dmxxo9w]

yeah mate i'm good. yeah we need to come and have a measure up and see how we are gonna fit this! shouldn't be too hard.

is the box a 6 speed one?

just been looking at the pics - that downpipe just after the cat looks like it will strangle things a fair bit.

seeing as you'll prob need a custom one anyway, that'll be a good time to get rid of it - shouldn't need a cat to pass on emissions either being a 91/92 car :D

if you're making a custom downpipe from scratch, if it was me i would try and retain the existing vw flexi joint (provided it fits with the diameter tubing you're going to run and won't strangle things too much obviously. i've got a feeling it'll be a bit small, but suck it and see) - only reason i say that is the oem items are decent quality and VERY flexible, so should be able to take a fair battering for a few years to come yet, unlike some of the cheapy aftermarket items you see.

just been looking at the pics - that downpipe just after the cat looks like it will strangle things a fair bit.

seeing as you'll prob need a custom one anyway, that'll be a good time to get rid of it - shouldn't need a cat to pass on emissions either being a 91/92 car :D

if you're making a custom downpipe from scratch, if it was me i would try and retain the existing vw flexi joint (provided it fits with the diameter tubing you're going to run and won't strangle things too much obviously. i've got a feeling it'll be a bit small, but suck it and see) - only reason i say that is the oem items are decent quality and VERY flexible, so should be able to take a fair battering for a few years to come yet, unlike some of the cheapy aftermarket items you see.

i would imagine it will be a trip to powerflow for the exhaust as i freaking hate doing them!

it should be good fun anyway

i would imagine it will be a trip to powerflow for the exhaust as i freaking hate doing them!

it should be good fun anyway[/quote:x7ex59da]

fair one - i hate exhausts too! :D

by the way, i take it you'll just be selling the gearbox and running an o2a...

or will that gearbox that came with the engine (whatever code it is), sit on the original mounts? be nice if that's the case - 6 speed goodness :D

When i sold the engine, everything went, gearbox, ECU, loom etc. In answer to your question Pete, i'm not sure whether the original mounts will be compatible with the new gearbox, my guess is probably not, but I'm some what inexperienced when coming to something this major, so we'll see how it goes?

Rob_b, that would be awesome if you guys don't mind? 'shoudn't be too hard', last famous words! Hopefully not going to be too bad. Yes, it is a 6 speed box.

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging comments. I will be documenting this build, so hopefully it should be a good little read with cool pics 8)

Rob_b, that would be awesome if you guys don't mind? 'shoudn't be too hard', last famous words! Hopefully not going to be too bad. Yes, it is a 6 speed box.

you dont want that 6 speed box, you want a nice g60 box like mine! to help you out i will swap with you :tumbleweed:

you dont want that 6 speed box, you want a nice g60 box like mine! to help you out i will swap with you :tumbleweed:

:lol: I'm pretty sure I do, sorry mate. I want to make this car as unique as possible. You and Jof will have plently of beer coming your way when you help out!

When are you next free?

When are you next free?

thats the million dollar question at the moment!

when you back here?

When are you next free?

thats the million dollar question at the moment!

when you back here?

I'm free most weekends. I'm due to be back permanently in a few weeks. I'll be more flexible then. To be honest it's whenever you guys can spare the time.