Sign in to follow this  
vw domo

which alternator for a 9a?

im in need of a new alternator for my c after it died on me the other night, iv been to my local motor factors but they are coming up with about 4 different ampages, which one do i need?

The sticker on there at the moment has rubbed off so im not sure what it is. Does a higher amp alternator depend on, for example; having a big sound system that takes more power?

Thanks.

what power options came with your car do you have air conditioning, power sunroof(some cars here in N/A didn't get it) i would go with the 90 myself, just to have that extra bit of charging strength

iv got everything bar air-con.

I have a sub and amp in the back tho.

if its safe to go with the 90amp il do that.

16v engine only ever came with a 65A or 90A bosch type (or aftermarket equivalent) alternator AFAIK, 90A will be listed as a passat 16v part and 65A a mk2 golf 16v part, if you want to check with the factor.

They may be getting confused with the mk3 golf engines which run serpentine belts and different alternators on the 16v ABF engine.

sorted now, went with the 90amp, just had to change the pully over (i say "just" but that bolt is a bugger to get off!) so i went to a local vw garage were they had the tool. :D

Thanks for the help everyone :notworthy: