Sign in to follow this  
dukest

help, alarm suddenly stopped working and now no ignition..?

have been changing my rear pads today and had all the doors and hatch open. when i finished i tried to start it again and the dash lights came on but nothing whatsoever happens at the last turn of the key. i tried to press the alarm button to see if that was the issue and the alarm is not doing anything at all either, no lights, noises, anything..

thought the battery might have run down but tried jumping it and no difference. am also puzzled as i sat on the alarm key about 2 hours previously and it armed itself fine then.

I've been having an occasional ignition code on vag-com but cant remember exactly which. i'm now trying to check all the wiring but it all looks ok. i'd been told in the past to wd40 the ignition switch connector but i was told it was 3 pin and i cant see anything 3 pin under there..

can someone point me in the right direction or is that direction only a new ignition switch? why has the alarm stopped working suddenly though?? :shrug:

wanting to go to glastonbury tomorrow night too... :(

Could well be the ignition switch John... have you tried turning the key in the ignition to the point where the car would start, and then try wiggling the key? Both times my ignition switch started to go (in two different Corrado's) was when the car had been out in the sun on a warm day and the cockpit was really warm... I can only assume the plastics inside warmed up enough to make it "not work" properly and the following morning when the car was cooler invariably the ignition would work fine.

The wiggling the key trick bought me a few extra starts of the car before I just swapped the damn switch out :)

*edit*

Hm... the alarm thing is slightly more confusing. So you can't even lock / unlock the car off the keyfob now..?!

just given that a try and didnt make any difference. also unplugged and reseated the connector into the back of the ignition switch area (which has about 6 wires going into it?) and looked at the fuses and reseated all the relays.. :confused4:

and no, keyfob does nothing whatsoever. and the alarm indicator light is not coming on at all

I'd be inclined to believe the alarm unit is to blame here... might be time for a call out of an auto electrician? :|

caught Andy (Trimwizard) on the way to fit an alarm in another VR and he pointed me in the direction of a hidden fuse for the alarm which turned out to be the culprit! quite relieved!