Sign in to follow this  
holeinmk1

Best replacement camshafts for a kr 16v?

Hi, i'm looking at purchasing some new cams for my new engine soon, I'm just wondering what people have found to be the best replacement camshafts for a 16v? I don't want something which only comes on at stupidly high in the rev range, the car is used everyday after all, i was thinking something like a phase 1/2.

Apart from the camshaft, i was also going to; port and polish cylinder head, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and full replacement s/s system plus a decent air filter(k+n?). Like i say, the car is used everyday so i want to keep it driveable, hence not going daft with the new engine, equally would like more power than standard kr.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers, Tom :)

I don't know about cams but have read that the kr ones are more than capable. Add a 9a bottom en to that list aswell, will probably cost alot less than aftermarket cams but add a fair bit more power all over the rev range. Even with the stock cams and the above mods you should see a healthy 160-170 brake...

I don't know about cams but have read that the kr ones are more than capable. Add a 9a bottom en to that list aswell, will probably cost alot less than aftermarket cams but add a fair bit more power all over the rev range. Even with the stock cams and the above mods you should see a healthy 160-170 brake...

I would'nt have thought the kr cams would produce as much power as that, well there you go, you learn something new everyday. I like that, should'nt cost the earth to do either. Cheers!

they do :D

numerous RR runs of mine with 130-140 bhp at the wheels and 165-175 at the flywheel

I like KR's, on 1.8 or 2L engines, a good compromise of power and torque spread

still yet to try the ABF (mk3 2.0 16v cams though) they are a little peakier and may work best on a 2L bottom end with headwork.