Sign in to follow this  
Akinesis

Squealing?!

Haha!! Vent that anger, Pete :lol:

When u say that, do u mean with the clutch pedal depressed all the way out of gear, or holding it at the biting point?

Sorry for the hi-jack, btw!! :pale:

When u say that, do u mean with the clutch pedal depressed all the way out of gear, or holding it at the biting point?

i was thinking about that as well - sorry for the hi-jack pal... :?

basically whever you put any load on the bearing, you're making it work - the more load, the harder it's working. there's probably actually more load when holding it on the biting point as you're at the "pivot" point in the pressure plate spring's travel where it want to reutrn the most (you're also wearing the clutch plates unecessarily too!)

basically you're working the bearing whever the pedal is even slightly pressed!

there's no reason EVER to hold the clutch in for long periods; if you're stopped take the car out of gear, if you're on a hill put the handbrake on!

really REALLY annoys me!

i was thinking about that as well - sorry for the hi-jack pal... :?

basically whever you put any load on the bearing, you're making it work - the more load, the harder it's working. there's probably actually more load when holding it on the biting point as you're at the "pivot" point in the pressure plate spring's travel where it want to reutrn the most (you're also wearing the clutch plates unecessarily too!)

basically you're working the bearing whever the pedal is even slightly pressed!

there's no reason EVER to hold the clutch in for long periods; if you're stopped take the car out of gear, if you're on a hill put the handbrake on!

really REALLY annoys me![/quote:1g9t0xgs]

:lol: Only time I ever put the clutch down is to change gear, or make sure Im not in-gear when starting the car! Pete, gonna PM u mate if u don't mind! (too bad if u do, coz im gonna anyways!!) :D

Well, I never had a thread hi-jacked as much as this before :lol:

Mine makes the noise with the car sat in neutral and clutch up. I can get out the car, lift the bonnet and hear the noise coming from the general area of the belts - but only when it's cold. So it's not going to be the thrust bearing for me. But I hear you on the clutch-rant. It's actually a pet hate of mine, too. I always make sure that whenever I'm sat still the car is out of gear and my foot is well-distanced from the clutch pedal. I always tell anyone else off when I'm passenger in their car and see them doing it :grin:

Anyway, I think the solution for me is to get a hose, put one end to each pulley in turn and the other end to my ear so I can find out exactly where this damn noise is coming from. But the car is locked up in the garage for a couple of weeks now - I barely use her during the week and I'm away this weekend. So may have to pick up the fault-finding next week :?

you can also use a screwdriver - put the blade on the part you suspect and put your ear on the handle end. sounds daft, but it works!

also, it's only a question of winding a bolt into the tensioner to take the belt off. once the belt is off you can rotate the individual pullies by hand to find out where the problem is by "feel".

my guess would be the tensioner pulley though as they are known for going on vr6's.

on that note if you do need to change it, you can get away with just changing the bearing inside the pulley by pressing it out and a new one in - that is obviously if the pulley is in good enough condition to warrant keeping it and not replacing the unit...

Hey Pete - I used your screwdriver idea and it really does work a treat :wink: At one point I was using two screw drivers end-to-end and it still gave results :lol:

Anyway, I've finally made some diagnosis progress on this. It is not the vernier pulley. I had the cam-belt cover off, ran the engine and everything was good.The noise is slowly getting louder, though, and now I am 99.9% sure that it is coming from the power-steering pump. I'm almost positive it's a belt noise, but I changed this the other week :cuckoo: So, could I have done the belt up too tight, or left it too loose :scratch: Or could it be that the pump has had it? When I turn the wheel the power-steering does whine and "seem" to struggle, but then I've never had a 'Rado before so wasn't sure if this was normal. However, my Mk2 Golf has power steering and does not make a noise (although, the Mk2 is a KR engine).

Further thoughts appreciated :salute:

Edit: the noise is not continuous- it's only when the engine is at idle, and is not constant. It's a "squeak...squeak...squeak...squeak", all in time with one pulley-revolution.