Sign in to follow this  
Akinesis

Squealing?!

When I go to pull away there is a slight and completely random (both in length of time of the squeal and how often it happens) squeal coming from (what sounds like) the drivers side of the engine. It sounds like something I had before, which was a heat shield rubbing against the disc brake, but there isn't one down there. It just doesn't sound like a belt, though, but I could be wrong. It sounds like metal on metal to me.

I'm not sure if it does it when I'm driving along at faster than jogging pace cos of the road/wind/engine noise, etc. But the noise isn't there on tick-over or revving the engine, just under load.

Anyone got any ideas?

You might be on to something there. Forgive my ignorance, but is their a pulley that is more prone to this or is it shooting in the dark?

The tensioner pulley can become noisy- this happened on mine. Rather than buy the whole tensioner which is very expensive, I found a company in the US on eBay that sells the pulley separately, I can't remember exactly how much it was now, but it was pretty cheap. But it could also be any of the other rotating pulleys (pas pump, alternator)

The best thing to do is remove the ribbed aux belt and spin each pulley in turn by hand to see if any of them are noisy. Hope this helps :-)

Sorry, just looked at your previous threads and realised you've got a valver, not a vr6! - the above checks would still apply though. Not sure if you have a separate tensioner pulley on that engine though or if the belt is tensioned on the alternator?

Hi matey i have a vr6 but it was doin exactly same . it was alternater bearing . try sraying a lil wd 40 on bearing next to pully , then drive if squeal disapears then its time for new alternator or rebuild it easy job .

mark

Gave it a good squirt with WD40 and it did quieten down. Looks like an alternator change, too :cry: I've only owned the car for a few days and it's already turning into a money pit :brickwall:

The only thing to be careful of when using wd40 is to not get any on the belt.. If the belt did turn out to be at fault and you put wd40 on it, that might cure the squeak too..

Gave it a good squirt with WD40 and it did quieten down. Looks like an alternator change, too :cry: I've only owned the car for a few days and it's already turning into a money pit :brickwall:

Welcome to Corrado ownership! :lol: but when it works its a righteous car. 8)

Haha! I don't car if it is a bit of a money-pit - I love it!

I think it might be both the alternator AND the pulley bearing! On start-up when the engine is cold it squeaks on tick-over. I'm 80% sure it's the pulley, anyway - it's a bit hard to get your head down there :grin:

Are these easy to change and where can I get one from??

Think I may have the same issue here - random squeak which happens when I pull off - when the cars warmed up a bit it seems to stop doing it. If i take longer to take my foot off the clutch when pulling away the noise is prolonged. This sound familiar?

Think I may have the same issue here - random squeak which happens when I pull off - when the cars warmed up a bit it seems to stop doing it. If i take longer to take my foot off the clutch when pulling away the noise is prolonged. This sound familiar?

Yes it does :( I changed the belts the other day but the noise is still there. I turned all the pulleys when the belts were off - alternator was free, power-steering pump was free but the water-pump was quite stiff to turn compared to the others. So it looks like that changing the water pump is the next thing to try :p

The water pump is usually more difficult to turn, the sound your looking for is like a skate board going down the road........................ :wave:

The water pump is usually more difficult to turn, the sound your looking for is like a skate board going down the road........................ :wave:

^^exactly!^^

i had this and then my tensioner baring siezed and distroyed the pully. get it sorted asap!

Ok, by the sounds of it my water pump is not about to give up :clap: Thanks guys! Tensioner pulley - you talking about the timing belt? :shock:

sorry to go off topic here a bit - pal your problem sounds more like your thrust bearing than your tensioner pulley to me...

Cheers guys - it's when pulling away tho, just as described before...only if i don't take my foot off the clutch straight away the noise lasts a little longer...

There'a a definate squeaking/squealing noise, sounds belt-like. Doesn't a thrust bearing make a whirring noise when clutch is depressed?

Cheers guys - it's when pulling away tho, just as described before...only if i don't take my foot off the clutch straight away the noise lasts a little longer...

There'a a definate squeaking/squealing noise, sounds belt-like. Doesn't a thrust bearing make a whirring noise when clutch is depressed?

the bearings can start to squeal when they become very old and tired...

(do you know if yours has ever had clutch/chains?)

it's possible it's the tensioner pulley, but if it happens more when you play with the pedal, that only points to one thing really...

the bearings can start to squeal when they become very old and tired...

(do you know if yours has ever had clutch/chains?)

it's possible it's the tensioner pulley, but if it happens more when you play with the pedal, that only points to one thing really...[/quote:3d4hdsmr]

Cheers Pete, did ask Graham when up DG last, but sod's law it decided not to play the soundtrack!!

Nothing in paperwork, but I bought it with 51k so very doubtful mate...

Mate, what's involved replacing a thrust bearing - clutch out job I assume??

well the small dark looking "ring-thing" on the right of this picture is the thrust bearing, and yes the gearbox has to come off to replace it (so you may as well do the clutch while you're there!)

i have a passionate pet hate for people who sit at lights/junctions etc holding their foot on the clutch! AARRGGGHH!

if you think about it, your average crank revolves nearly 17 times every second while sat at a 1000rpm idle.

now think about that poor little bearing which has to cope with that every single time you depress the clutch pedal! those bearings are single use only - they never get serviced (as you can't get at them), never get re-greased etc, they are just replaced with the clutch every time.

i did a clutch in my friend's 106 rallye ages ago - he used to sit with his foot on the clutch.... and his thrust bearing came out in literally seven different pieces! the plates on his clutch were perfect - had loads of life left in them, but the bearing had packed up simply due to abuse. he doesn't sit with his foot on the clutch anymore!!!

anyway, rant over! (and not acusing you of thrust bearing neglect!) but yes - it's not uncommon for bearings to fail early, especially if they're constantly abused by their owners.

SACHS_clutch_kit.jpg