Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Rear view mirror fixing plate

The rear view mirror fixing plate has come away from the windscreen. Do I need a special adhesive, or can I use superglue or Araldite without damaging the glass?

Thanks

RB

There's some special stuff for this made by loctite, Halfrauds sell it.

It's got some mesh and a tube of adhesive.

Good idea to get 2 of them incase the mirror happens to come off again (happened to me while adjusting it!) :lol:

There's some special stuff for this made by loctite, Halfrauds sell it.

It's got some mesh and a tube of adhesive.

Good idea to get 2 of them incase the mirror happens to come off again (happened to me while adjusting it!) :lol:

just note the adhesive has a shelf life! you will need an alcohol cleaner for the glass prior to using the adhesive, but this may come with thhe adhesive! the original button is bonded with a 3m adhesive but you need an auto-clave (vacuum and heat machine) to bond it!

I put on a beggin face and went down to the local windscreen place and asked if they had anything I could stick it back on with and the guy there did it for the price of a pint. I'd tried the Hafords stuff and it didn't laast very well. If you do decide to do it yourself seperate the round alloy fixing plate from the mirror first and stick it to the windscreen by itself. Wait till it's truly stuck hard before fitting the mirror back on too it.

I do not believe the interior mirror is legally required... think of vehicles without most vans... mite be wrong...

You are right! I checked out the MOT requirements and it seems that you must have a right side exterior mirror and one other, either a left side exterior OR an interior mirror.

So I can get it on the road and then throw myself on the mercy of Autoglass or similar.

Thanks again

RB

the loctite one with the little mesh is by far the best and yes i did buy 2 (6years ago) not needed the 2nd so far

For those of you who need to re-fix your rear view mirror back on, just go to your nearest Autoglass centre (101 branches nationwide) the will stick it back on for you "properly" free of charge, although it's best to give him the price of a drink :)

Dont be messing about with the halfords 319 rear view mirror glue, sticky pads and such like.... i've just been and had the mother-in-laws fiesta mirror fixed back on...took 3 mins.