KipVR

NEW Corrado 2012

I think the fact the Corrado was so highly rated in the press took even VW by suprise. Hence why every car made years afterwards was still stodgy and boring old VW. It took until the MKIV R32/MKV GTi before they started getting on the ball again...

...and i'm sure it's nice to imagine with rose-tinted glasses that there were VW engineers trying to create the 'ultimate driving machine'. But lets be honest, it was a cobbling together of bits from the VW parts bin that turned out somehow turned out good.

I think the closest VW group has ever come to replicating the Corrado is the Audi A5 and that's so popular theres no exclusivity factor to owning one. The Jetta Coupe looked promising but sadly they shelved that this year so definately nothing coming out until 2013 :(

Rumours are there will be an A3 Coupe & Cabriolet in 2013/2014 though. So I shall look forward to that :)

Sounds good. Let's see those.

I like the A5 coupe, but hardly a sportscar. More a lux coupe.

You know Pat, one plus one is not allways two, but summarizes to be more. That's what the Corrado was. Surely it have it's faults, like most. And also amongst exotica there are faults or things that could have been made differently. I think they do okay after all these years though.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edit: I think a future Corrado should be a low car - say 115cm at the rooftop.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Btw, the new Bulli sounds to have a few good ideas. Refreshing.

Cheers,

Redfox.

IF they ever will bring it back into their production line I really hope it will be somewhat near the shape of the original - although I'm not convinced they will. I kinda like the new Scirocco as well - but it bear not much resemblance (or however one spell that) to the original.

it got to get lower at least:

hnaiwxk5csxirv91.jpg

I've always thought the new Scirocco looks a lot closer to the Corrado than the old Scirocco, and this picture just reinforces it. Especially with the swept-up rear windows to give you minimum visibility out of the back :lol: I nearly bought a new Scirocco actually, then common sense prevailed when I found out the dealers wanted £20k for one...

I was getting tyres fitted at VW last weekend and had a sit in the Scirocco for the first time. I tried to be objective and work out if i would prefer it to the Corrado. I found it dark and bland, and as you say, borderline claustrophobic.

When i got back in the Rado my mind was made up. The Corrado is a far more pleasant environment to live in!

That's a good point actually - lots of people say they're claustrophobic but I don't feel it in mine. Since I haven't sat in any others with black leather, what was the standard headliner colour? I've got a cream one in mine which breaks it up quite well - normal? :scratch:

Stone

Wouldn't buy an A5! ..... Recent press,

the Audi A5 which came dead last in 121st place with electrical gremlins.

Although owning a Corrado, one might be at home with that :rofl:

New Scirocco's come with three upper colours in the roof liner and side pillars. Black or very light grey or white. All depends on the spec and options ordered. Mine would usually be a while upper. Cos I ordered black leather interior, the roof liner & pillars are black. I initially thought it would be bad but once use to it, it feels no different or oppressive. Still would have prefered white though.

Personally like the new Sirrocco!

Think if they brig out a Corrado it'll be great for us Corrado owners, Imagine the nostalgia around the 'old' ones, most likely push up prices a little!

Ive seen the Quattro concept at Goodwood and it didnt stand out as much as I thought it would but then I had just been looking at some of the greatest racing cars alll day.

Having owned my Rocco for about 3-4 months now I will say it is every bit the modern Corrado. As standard they are very much the same as a standard VR6 i.e. sit too high and need more power. Now that I have springs fitted and the car mapped it is brilliant, it now feels and looks very much like the Corrado except everytime I go to start it I dont have any doubts. Dont get me wrong I obviously love the Corrado and they are brilliant but I just think we need to accept that there is a good chance there will never be another made.

Mk3 S. is a different beast to the Corrado. Prefer the Corrado chassis by a good margin. The Mk3 S. is like driving a slab of steel with wheels at the corners. That said, the S. handles well but on mine the Bridgestone Potenza tyres are poor tyres for road holding unless its absolutely bone dry. Even then, they are below what I expect of a quality tyre. (Thank goodness they are coming off in April next year.)

Like for like, the leather of my Storm is much better than the S. S. leather has been skimped on. Only the bit you sit on is leather, door rear side panels are not leather inserts.

Like the electric steering of the S. The engine and gearbox are not a fair comparison on mine. 2.9ltr v 1.4ltr. Mine you, there's not much difference in them upto 60mph, pokey little number. Only gives up because 7th gear on the S. is an extreme overdrive with the engine turning at 2,400 rpm at 70mph instead of the usual 3,500 rpm. Still has some punch left though despite the gearbox.

But one thing stands out while driving. The Corrado has very, very much more feel & feedback. The S. driver is sooooooooo divorced from the road, wrapped in cotton wool. Hate it when the S. ESP takes over in a corner and starts one wheel braking when you expect to turn in to correct the car. Unnerving the first time as it wasn't expected and if my window hadn't been down and heard the tyre being braked and skidded, I would have wondered what the car was doing. Very odd.

RW1, we have an A5 coupe, had it a couple of years now and it hasnt missed a beat. No electrical issues and it has got pretty much every extra on it electrically, parking sensors, electric seats, rear view mirror etc etc etc. So my own experience of owning one doesnt really stack up with the figures. That said we might just have been lucky. My A4 Avant diesel on the other hand.........

Dougie

I can agree on some points but I love the handling, grip and feel with mine, I have the Dunlops on my summer wheels. Older cars will always give you more feel and you and directly connected to the components that at doing the job of steering and suspension. Im comparing mine to modern equivalent cars i.e. the Mk5 Gti I had before. The Scirocco IMO is a far better handling car than that was. I love them both, saying that my £2k Corrado sits in the garage and my £16k Scirocco is parked on the street, I think that says it all.

RW1, we have an A5 coupe, had it a couple of years now and it hasnt missed a beat. No electrical issues and it has got pretty much every extra on it electrically, parking sensors, electric seats, rear view mirror etc etc etc. So my own experience of owning one doesnt really stack up with the figures. That said we might just have been lucky. My A4 Avant diesel on the other hand.........

Dougie

Just picked that up somewhere on the www last week. You know what reviews can be like. Had the feeling the report was Which but couldn't verify.

@coullstar

Still buying another :) so they can't be bad, just "different". I just can't draw a parrallel with the Corrado or the Mk1/2 Scirocco. The pedigree is broken. Its not a coupe, its a sportswagen. But in its own right, it takes some beating for its price bracket.

The only thing that makes my Corrado sit in the garage is its SORN :( . Roll on May 2012.

I think there are many people who just don't care too much of their cars, beng that people carrier or a nice Corrado or something else. But I also think that many a Corrado owner these days are people who are genuinely interested in the Corrado, and tries to take good care of them, where as some years ago, when the Corrado was actually more expensive, but also newer, there came some owners who were not that much interested in the Corrado as such, but maybe more like it being a smart flat car etc. Then also came the tendency to modify into eternity. That I think, is going to level out now, and we see more and more people going oem (right at the time when vw rules out spares .... )

This happen to very many cars anyway.

With the view not to see a Corrado any time soon, we'd better really good care of the ones that are ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

I'm gonna visit Florida today and I am looking forward to test drive the new corrados.. I love these cars!

Gotta love these spammers! :lol: