Sign in to follow this  
Andy92

Removing G60 for a bit ?

haaaalllooo

A little question for you, to try and save money i had a thought.... Buy a C with a blown G60, take it off and fix on an air filter, mess with the timing and run it as a normally aspirated Corrado. Then look out for a Charger in need of a service, ( ie a car being broken etc ), having a stage 1 service done on it and then reattaching it etc etc

This would ideally save me about 400-500 which i really need as im a poor little student who has no chance of affording a propererly done up Corrado ( no violens please :-P ).

What do people think ? I cant see how it would damage the eninge ( even though the G60 engine will have a different compression ratio and air flow system would this do any damage ? ) The only bad side is trying to get a good charger.

Any one got any thoughts ?

You would get done at the lights by kids on skateboards! It is done often in the states. You need to get a shorter alternator belt. The intercooler can get full of bits of metal which needs cleaning out before you do more damage.

Like you say, getting a good charger is the problem. You could also convert it to a turbo for 1500 quid.

Gavin

Thnx

Im guessing that the insurance for a turbo'd C is greater than for a Supercharger ?

If i were to get a Charger from a C that was being broken down, and got a stage 2 done on it ? about £300 for charger and another £300 for the service ?

Also i would remove ( bypass) the intercooler, and probably just bypass the charger as well instead of actually removing it.

Andy

A corrado with a blow charger should really have the head taken off to remove all debris from the 'Ashes' of the dead unit to prevent the bores being scored, there goes another couple of hundred quid!

A corrado with a blow charger should really have the head taken off to remove all debris from the 'Ashes' of the dead unit to prevent the bores being scored, there goes another couple of hundred quid!

mine's absoloutley fine. replaced the belt and removed the charger, did a bit of DIY pipework and no probs at all. its been runnig like that for about 12 months on the road altogether.

spose you is the heckspert tho seeing as its your line of work!

:roll: Andy92...... if you cant afford to buy a G60, then wouldnt the best option to look for something in your budget like a MKII 8v golf... :roll:

only just graduated and payed off a 2 grand overdraft mate, give me a chance. :roll:

ive got 500 quid already for it and i have only been working since november to do all that!

is not good for your engine to run it without boost in long run, you will run really rich and will wash your piston rings off oil resulting to damaged rings and bores,g60 injectors are *260 pretty big for a low compression n/a 8v i have tried mine without a charger for a short while and its a dog, i wouldnt do it if i was you.

funny you should say that subster82, guess what im driving at mo :p

But i need a C, just got that feeling deep inside that life is not complete :p

Luckily i dont really do many miles tbh, about 150 a week and thats in traffic so no high speed. Im guessing it would take me about 6 weeks to source one, thats looking on here for a C being broken, scappies, and part search off Autotrader ( Mr. Parts etc )

i would be getting one as soon as i could tho

:lol: Fair enough, i was just concerned cause if you know how much C's are when they go wrong, you might change your mind! :lol:

but its a fairly good idea what your planning, but like others have said, as long as the car has no internal damage, you should be fine :)

when the compression is low you dont get much power as when the compreson is high in a normally aspired engine, 260 is the flow rate of injectors , they spray to much fuel for a n/a 8v to combust properly

rgds

how much money/effort are we talking for some cheap smaller infectors ? effort is no problem, im still new so got too much :wink:

So to do about 700-800 miles ( no thrashing ) would be too much ?

i think that would be ok, you can easily get injectors from normal 8v engines but dont know how they would work with the digifant.

we had teh wideband set up on a g' and the car blew a boost hose off.. all i can say is that it DIDNT go mega rich without the charger! imho you would be fine to run it for a while without it .... shorter belt and blank the oil feed / return and off you go.

i appreciate i have to shorten belts, but what if i just bypass the charger & charger? would that be easier ?

the only belt you have to shorten is the serpantine belt as this will be missing the charger pulley once you remove te charger.

we had teh wideband set up on a g' and the car blew a boost hose off

that'll be me :D

Too much boost 8) 8)

C'mon!!

we had teh wideband set up on a g' and the car blew a boost hose off

that'll be me :D

Too much boost 8) 8)

C'mon!!

still smiling then dave .... at the car not the snizalle

Shortening the belt, that mean a replacement belt ? how much 'ish ? remember i am a student !! :lol:

apart from blowing off a hose you do any damage ? I can just imagine hearing the bang, imaganing the worst and finding a hose flapping about lol

A corrado with a blow charger should really have the head taken off to remove all debris from the 'Ashes'

Yup, a mate of mine over in Germany had his G-Lader explode on him, not nice, having seen the amount of debris that flies out of your G-Lader into your intercooler etc.

A means of protection against the engine and intercooler taking damage / becoming contaminated from such an explosion (which subsequently a lot of board members over on a German board have done, me included) is to fit some sieves at all the in- and outlets of the G-Lader. Normal metal-mesh tea-strainers will do, or even plastic ones for the bypass section.

I still hope that mine isn't going to explode, of course.

Tempest

sounds a good idea !! will consider it ( for when i eventually get one !! lol )

hopefully looking at one tomorrow, all intact except no wheels ( stolen recovered ), £1300, doubt it will be any good but worth a look